1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formating???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jmeasy5, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmeasy5

jmeasy5 Thread Starter

I'm currently trying to re-install windows xp pro on my hp pavilion laptop which previously was running xp pro. I have a hp windows xp operating system cd that I'm trying to use to re-install. Every time I try and start up from disc, it tells me to insert the Restore Plus CD. I do not have the restore plus cd.

If I try and re-install while running windows, it will start all the required steps and then stop at the blue screens saying it had to stop to protect computer.

so my question is.

Is there a way to reformat my hd and re-install windows xp pro?

2. XtremeNuker

XtremeNuker

Buddy you should have a restore plus cd -unless HP copied in onto your HD and you formated it unknowingly.

3. jmeasy5

jmeasy5 Thread Starter

Its possible that I have formated over it, but I current ran through the same exact steps as I would with my desktop. Which I have re-booted on several occassions.

Also, the new thing that stores (Best Buy) are doing now is not including that disc and charging you to create one. So thats how I ended up disc-less.

All I'm trying to do is re-install windows xp pro and get a fresh start. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciated it!!! Thanks

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You'll need to use the HP disk. They use a non-standard method of setting up partitions and the MBR and the normal XP CD will just not do it.

Besides, if the CD you are using is already installed on another machine, the same product key can not be used again, and the one on the machine will not work except on the original version licensed to HP.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice