1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formatted drive - can data be retreived?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nothingface, Nov 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nothingface

Nothingface Thread Starter

My bro wants his drive formatted..and he doesn't want the erased data to be retreived in any way..I heard that there's way you can get data back from a formatted drive..is there a way to completely erase it so that it can't be retreived?

2. jskrakowski

jskrakowski Guest

don't know.........it cost alot....sounds like a CIA endevour.......................................tryin to hide sompin ( i won't ask what.....)

it can be done.

3. WarC

WarC

Formatting is the safest way to get rid of data on a hard-drive. And once that disk is formatted, and a fresh OS installed...I really doubt anyone could get into that data.

Sure, it might be possible...With expensive data recovery machines and the like, owned by government agencies and large corporations...But hey, if the FBI or something wanted that info bad enough, they'd probably find other, fleshier, more physical ways of finding it. :(

Format away!

4. jskrakowski

jskrakowski Guest

yah.....after formatting..it's all gone

did he do something REALLY bad?

;)

unless the person who would try to find it had thousands (or maybe it's millions) to spend, they won't find it after formatting.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Unless the drive has been completely overwritten with new data; some, if not all, of the data can be retrieved. There is software for consumer use to retrieve data but the name is escaping me, it was however priced in the several hundred dollar range.

If you go to the hard drive's manufacturer site you may be able to download a utility that will write zeros to the drive. That should give him some piece of mind.

6. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

Spiderbite is about all you can do besides burning the HD .

7. jskrakowski

jskrakowski Guest

he killed someone didn't he?

or...........jeffery domer stuff....ikes!

;););)

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Norton Utilities, Partition Magic and most decent disk magagement software have a SECURE ERASE feature.
    Just Formatting is NOT enough - there are many free data recovery programd out there that will recover the data.
    I delete the contents of my drives and then fill them up with a picture of a tree in Autumn - a 10Mb file - repeated.

9. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

It can be done no matter what. That's why the cheapest advertised prices start at $750.

10. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

If we are talking about avoiding time in prison, remove the drive, place it on an anvil and beat it to smitherines with a two-pound hammer. Then take each smitherine, place it is a melting pot and melt away.

If we're just talking about keeping the average hacker with data recovery tools from reading erased files, the Norton or Partition Magic tools will do the trick.

Bring me a drive that has been only formatted and I'll have it back to preformatted condition in a short. Recovering data from a formatted drive is easy money.

11. jskrakowski

jskrakowski Guest

what is this thread even about.....he can avoid time in prison for only 80 bucks! but a new drive!!! and destroy it in the same liquid that destroyed T-1000 in terminator 2!!!

12. jskrakowski

jskrakowski Guest

you all a bunch a crackers!

13. Nothingface

Nothingface Thread Starter

That spiderbite is only for URLs. We're talking about all the data.

Haha. Time in prison..something like that. Let's just leave it at that.

I guess I'll give him the choice to destroy the drive, or just take a chance and format it.

14. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

If you are concerned that someone might attempt to recover the data, formatting alone, even if it is done a hundred times over will offer absolutely NO security.

Formatting and reinstalling the OS still leaves all areas not currently written to, fully recoverable with great ease.

There are hundreds of thousands of clusters on a hard disk. Let's say you format. The file is still there; and if you write a tiny file to a cluster where there was previously a large file, everything beyond that tiny files's space in that cluster is still recoverable.

That's why secure-erase utilities are important. When I want to be sure, I run a secure erase of the drive three passes.

15. danielno8

danielno8

its not really for your bro is it....its for you....be honest!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/177740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice