1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formatted Hard Drive and Installed OS... Can I recover Files????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sk1nW4lk3r, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sk1nW4lk3r

Sk1nW4lk3r Thread Starter

Ok, in my excitement and haste, I managed to format and install an OS on the wrong hard drive...

Long Story Short:

I used to be on 2 hard drives. a 250gig primary and a 300gb data HD. I had thousands and thousands of songs, videos, pics, and software on the 300 gig, and somehow when I went to format my new 1tb drive, managed to select the wrong drive instead; I lost everything and didn't realize it until it was done.

I was told by a buddy that there are programs for retrieving lost files and formatted hard drive. I have tried a few, but they all, including EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard, find all the files the New OS installed, rather than what was there beforehand.

For the specific purpose of not overwriting the files that are still there, I haven't used it since, aside from installing programs on my new 1tb drive and trying to use them to salvage the data.

1) Is it possible to do what I'm trying to do, now that I've installed a new OS?
    2) What software would you recommend I acquire in order to do it?
    3) Anything else?

Thanks so much!!!

Eric

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
  3. keik12

keik12

Well if you formatted it, it should be all wiped. As it said probably when you decided to format, that it would wipe all files.

4. keik12

keik12

sorry really didnt read your story till after I posted, but i would still have to say no to that, my bad if i sounded like a jerk.

5. keik12

keik12

and here i am again just thinking bout your situation, you could maybe have your os boot from the 1tb and set your other 2 as slave drives and maybe, just maybe, you will still ahve files on there.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Formatting does not remove the files that were on the drive. All your files would still be there after a format. But as mentioned, most of what was there has probably been overwritten by the new installation. This is especially true since temp files used during installation result in about twice the space on the drive being used compared to the final usage after setup is finished.

But it wouldn't hurt to scan for what may be there.

Free recovery applications:

Diskinternals Recovery Boot CD
    Pandora Recovery (Free for personal use)
    Smart Data Recovery
    Recover Files
    Recuva
    Restoration
    Free Undelete (NTFS only)
    Softperfect File Recovery
    ADRC Data Recovery Tools
    Undelete Plus
    Data Recovery
    PCI File Recovery
    DriveRescue
    Ultimate Data Recovery
    Disk Investigator

Commercial:

O&O Disk Recovery
    Paragon Mount Everything (Mounts any file system, CD/DVD burning, File Manager, Partitioner)
    GetDataBack (For FAT or NTFS)
    Ontrack EasyRecovery Pro
    File Scavenger
    Recover My Files
    RecoverPlus Pro
    Zero Assumption Recovery
    [email protected] File Recovery
    Final Recovery
    Recover4All Professional
    Easeus Data Recovery Wizard
    NTFS Recovery

7. Sk1nW4lk3r

Sk1nW4lk3r Thread Starter

Well, that's the thing, It's a 300 gb hard drive... I'd only used 240 gigs or so... so even so, an OS worth about 4gb, shouldn't have overwritten EVERYTHING... there should be plenty still retrievable...

I'll try a few of those programs, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/785392

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice