1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

formatting a "book" with Word or WordPerfect

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Jukie, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jukie

Jukie Thread Starter

Hello,
    I would like to make a short recipe book that I would print, cut and then have spiral bound. I want the pages to be front and back and 1/2 sheets, preferably numbered pages, but not a necessecity. I cannot find any information on formatting for this sort of thing. Could someone tell me which application would be the easiest to use for this, Word, WP or Microsoft Publisher and some guidance on how to set it up.
    Thanks in advance,
    Julie

2. Gram123

Gram123

Well, say you were using MS Word, you could print out all of the odd numbered pages first - go to File, Print and where it says Pages, enter 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15 etc etc seperated by commas.
    Then the printed sheets back into the printer the other way round and print the even pages.

I'm not sure about the 'half size' pages at the moment - maybe someone else can chip in? It should certainly be possible.
    Maybe you could do it by using landscape pages and splitting your text into two columns, with a "line between" as a fold point.

Alternatively, you could set the page size for half the dimensions of a full page (in the UK, A5 is half the size of a full A4 sheet. In the U.S. you'll have to specify the dimensions in mm/cm). You would then pre-cut the sheets in half (or buy some half sized paper!) and use these... not sure at present...

In addition, there are a few other things that may help you in File, Page Setup such as a adding a gutter margin to allow space for the binding at the 'correct' side of odd and even pages, and alternating headers and footers on odd and even pages, so you could have say, the book title as a header on the even (left hand) pages and the chapter title on the odd (right hand) pages.

You should also be able to add page numbers without too much trouble.

Gram

3. Jukie

Jukie Thread Starter

Thank you for your help Gram. I've decided to just use full-sized pages to save myself a lot of headaches. So your other information is very useful to me.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66814

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice