1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formatting a downloaded document

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by theMusicMan, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theMusicMan

theMusicMan Thread Starter

Hi again

I have just downloaded a document from the web - specifically it is a walkthrough of Banjo Tooie. I cut it from the www page and pasted it into MS Word. What I cannot seem to do is either automatically or via a macro remove all the "new paragraph" characters.

The document does not format very well when pasted from an html file and I would like to be able to remove all these markers somehow!

Anyone help?

John

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Are they paragraph returns or line breaks? When you have the show/hide button on in Word, a paragraph return looks like a backwards P and a line break looks like a small arrow pointing downward and then to the left.

Hit ctrl+h
    In Find What put one of the following:

^p (if paragraph returns)
    ^l (if line breaks--that's a lower-case L)

In Replace with, put a space. Hit Replace all.

If there are places where paragraph returns BELONG, then you will likely not want to lose these. If that's the case, then BEFORE doing the above steps, take this step first:

Find:

^p^p (or ^l^l)

Replace with the word:

parareturn

Then, follow the first steps I gave above, and then do this one too:

Find:

parareturn

Replace with

^p^p

If you can't make sense of that or work something out on your own, email it to [email protected] and I'll surely clean it up for you.

3. theMusicMan

theMusicMan Thread Starter

WOW - Worked a treat, thanks very much.

Apologies for asking such a dumb question - I have been using word for ages and have wanted to do that on many occasions but have been unable to work it out. Thanks again.

John:D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65575

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice