1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formatting a hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RKLuchy, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RKLuchy

RKLuchy Thread Starter

I have lost my mind. Okay, maybe only part of it. I have a box with server 2003 on it. Now the powers that be want it to be an XP machine again. I have tried just about everything I can think of the format the darn drive and so far no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

R

2. wedor

wedor

What have you tried so far? You boot to the XP CD, highlight the drive, press d and then...

3. RKLuchy

RKLuchy Thread Starter

Herein lies the problem, it will not boot to the XP CD. I have tried swapping out the cd rom with a known working one and still get no response.

R

4. roban

roban

Windows 98 boot disk to DOS. FDISK and delete partition. Create new primary DOS partition and format. Sounds like an NTFS problem FORMAT command cannot be understood in NTFS.

5. saikee

saikee

Seem to me your problem is not with unable to format the hard disk but rather making the CDRom bootable. Is it the CDRom first in the booting queue?

If you can't get the CDRom to boot what good does it do even if you can format the drive? You still wouldn't be able to install XP from the CD!

6. RKLuchy

RKLuchy Thread Starter

After much hunting around, I finally found a CD drive and XP CD that works! Who would have guessed there were so many that were broken! Thanks for the help and a place to let off a little frustration.

R

7. wedor

wedor

Well your original message was very misleading in that case and sure didn't help us get you to a resolution but I am glad you got it fixed.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/299634

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice