1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formatting A Hard-drive.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jolij, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jolij

jolij Thread Starter

Hello all, I have a hard drive that is partioned as "C" and "D". My operating system is on "C" and I do not wish to interfere with it.
    The other partion, "D" has some files on it that I cannot delete. These files are the remains of a backup program that I no longer use. I tried to format it by opening "My Computer", right clicking on this "D" drive and selecting Format. I am unable to achieve this either because of a message that prevents me from doing this.
    Is there another method of formatting this partition without endangering the other partition "C", which has my OS, programs and all my data on it? I would require a step by step explanation as I am new to computers.
    Both partitions use NTFS.
    Cheers
    John:confused:

2. tony007

tony007 Banned

3. Goku

Goku

This are some useful articles for you.

How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP

Original Article

4. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    You may be able to either format or delete that partion from here, open the control panel, then click open "Administrative Tools" then open "Computer Management", and then click to select the item under Storage called "Disk Management", then click to select the partition that you want to format first, then look for the options to format or delete that partition.

5. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

You may want to back up your operating system partition before you do anything.

6. jolij

jolij Thread Starter

Thanks Ric, I have already done this just in case anything goes wrong.
    Cheers
    John (y)

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Download XP Recovery Console CD Image and make a CD. Boot with it. You can get a semi-graphical partitioning tool with "diskpart.exe" for deleting and creating partitions, and you can format with "format X: /FS:NTFS or format X: /FS:FAT32.

Type "map" when you first get into the RC so you can see what drive letters are assigned to what drives. Partitioning tools sometimes do not use the same letters as XP does and size or location should always be used to verify which partition you are working with.

Partitioning Tools-->

Free:

Gparted LiveCD
    Parted Magic
    XP Recovery Console CD image (Create and delete partitions with diskpart.exe)
    Partition Logic
    Ranish Partition Manager
    Cute Partition Manager

Shareware:

Paragon Partition Manager
    Paragon Hard Disk Manager
    Terabyte BootIt NG
    Acronis Disk Director
    V-Com (Avanquest) Partition Commander
    EASEUS Partition Manager
    7Tools Partition Manager
    Spotmau Partition Genius

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/608597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice