Formatting a Mac Notebook??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pdkx7

Hey,

I was wondering if Mac had the same options as windows when it comes to restore. Am I able to format the entire hard drive and re install the OS from a partition on a hard drive, or do I need installation CD's?

Its just that my friend asked me to clean out his notebook and I am not a mac user, he does not have any CD's what would be the best program to use to clean out the computer from any unwanted software and how would I go about turning off any unwanted processes ?

you need the install dvd's, but yes, you can partition your hard drive, and install osx on one part. if you want to just remove programs, thats a pain in the ___. you need to use the uninstall wizzard to do it (if it has one), or go into finder, search by keyword, and just delete

Yes. The OS X version of Windows' "repair install' (which replaces all the system files but leaves user files in place - note: on windows this breaks most of your applications) is available when you choose to install OS X from the original DVD. It is pretty good, will leave your applications in-tact also!

Boot your Mac from the OS X Install DVD (hold C on boot). When you get to the 'select a destination' page choose "Archive and Install". It will do just this. Archive your old system in a folder on the hard disk and replace just the OS X files. But you're personal deets (down to your desktop icons, your safari favorites etc.) will stay put.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online