1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formatting C Drive With Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Sohaib420, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sohaib420

Sohaib420 Thread Starter

Hello all,
    I need to format my C drive, and I am currently running windows vista ultimate x32 bit. So right now, when my comp starts, I have a choice to run XP or Vista. I want to make it only vista, and be able to use both C and D drives for vista. My vista is on my D drive

Can someone please tell me a step by step guide on how to uninstall XP from Vista

Thanks!

2. Sohaib420

Sohaib420 Thread Starter

anyone????!!!?!?!

I really need help, thanks:)

3. blued

blued

You have to start anew with a fresh install of Vista. From the Vista DVD you can format both C/D and then proceed with the install which will default to the C drive.

4. Sohaib420

Sohaib420 Thread Starter

but i have stuff on my vista right now,...i want to format the C drive using my vista on that i have on D drive

5. Sohaib420

Sohaib420 Thread Starter

i have tried going to manage in computer, but it gives me the error : "windows cannot format the system partition on this disk"

6. earld2

earld2

To do a clean install (wipe your HDD clean) if your copy of Vista is an "update" then you must install Vista twice; at the first install do not enter the product key, after the install is complete start a second install, this time enter9ing the key and you will be given the option of a clean install.. You could wipe the HDD with a third party program such as Maxtors "MaxBlast", depending on the brand of HDD.

7. earld2

earld2

I meant "if your copy of Vista is an UPGRADE"

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

You know the easiest way really is to install Vista clean on the C drive with D drive unplugged to avoid confusion. Make sure bios will then boot to c drive, plug both in and then copy and paste files over you need after plugging D back in. Then format D drive in Disk Management.
    I mean there are ways using Acronis True Image and partitioning D drive to make image files and restore but really complicated to explain.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice