1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formatting compact flash cards

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Hawkeye_1, Sep 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hawkeye_1

Hawkeye_1 Thread Starter

Hi all nice to be here.

I have a three compact flash cards 2*256MB and 1*512. All three are not working correctly.
    The 512mb card i can read on the PC and see the pictures that i have taken,,,,but, some of the pictures are like double exposure types of picture ie: one picture on top of another.

The two 256mb cards i cannot read at all in the camera or the PC.

Is therer a way of low level formatting them through the PC without using Active Sync. I have a multi card reader in my PC and want to know if there are any utilities that can do this.

I have tried formatting in the camera but it just locks the camera up. On a card that is working there is no problem at all.

Cheers

2. RT

RT

Hello Hawkeye

Welcome aboard, good to have you here.

Are the pics on the cards important to you? Do you want to recover them if you can or just try to format the cards to see if they will work again?

If the card is shot, the best you can hope for is that some recovery software will be able to rescue some of your pics.
    PhotoRescue has a trial version that will let you see if there are recoverable files on the card, but you must purchase the program to actually try to rescue them.
    In other threads here some have reported success with the free PC Inspector software.

You could try the cards in different camera, if that option is available to you.
    Windows XP will attempt to format cards, but I've only tried it on one that wasn't working properly as well, and had no success. Had to replace it.

Maybe your cards are still under warranty?

3. hewee

hewee

On my camera it says to only format the cards try the camera anf not in a card reader.

4. RT

RT

That's probablly true for most all cameras, hewee. But as that card wasn't working right I was trying to get it to do something. I thought if I could get the computer to format it, then maybe the camera could do a re-format.

5. hewee

hewee

I know what you mean RT.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/278091

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice