1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formatting computer problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AnishaK, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AnishaK

AnishaK Thread Starter

I am attempting to format my computer, however, there is a problem with my cdrive.

Usually when I want to turn on my computer, it goes to a black screen and says "Diskette drive 0 seek failure" where I have to press F1 to continue or F2 to go to setup, it then goes to ask me what i want to log on to the options are both windows XP professional.- Then my software operates as normal.

Whilst trying to format my computer however, it stops the formatting and says:

STOP: c0000221 Unknown Hard Error
    \SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

What does this mean? help!!! =S

2. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Go back to basics.

1. Check that C Drive (the main hard drive) is set to master on number 1 IDE or SATA and the connections are firm.
    2. Have you got a floppy drive? If not, disable the floppy options in BIOS and if you have, make sure the settings are correct.
    3. Set BIOS to boot from the CD Drive first, and the hard drive second.

Now pop the installation disk in the CD Drive and away you go. Good luck.

Jenny

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why are you trying to format at all? Do you plan to reinstall Windows?

If so, then all you need do is start the installation and delete the partitions when that option presents. Make a new one and install. Formatting is not needed since it is part of setup after you make the new partition.

(If the computer has been running, then the drive's connections do not need to be changed. There is no "master" with SATA drives, so that cannot be set, anyway. It also makes no difference if the drive was set to slave before. If it was installed to an IDE slave and ran from it, there is no need to make any changes.)

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Assuming you have XP Pro currently installed, and assuming you have an actual XP Pro CD, here is a good pictorial and instructional guide for you to follow to format the hard drive and do a clean install of XP Pro.

You rate yourself as a "Beginner", so I'm not sure how computer-savvy you are. You might consider getting someone who is computer-savvy to assist you.

----------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973440

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice