1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formatting Dell 4600 hard drive from WinXP to 2000?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shift_key, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shift_key

shift_key Thread Starter

My friend and I are having trouble with his Dell 4600 Dimension. It's acting up badly and we think it's due to malicious spyware or something similar. So we want to format the hard drive, but the problem is he has none of the original CDs that came with it, including his WinXP disk. We want to try putting Win2000 on it, but we have no idea how that might turn out. I've never formatted a Dell before and I don't know how picky it is to that kind of stuff. Can anyone lend us some sage advice?

2. Sequal7

Sequal7

Have you accessed dell restore, there usually is a restore feature on dells that allow you to set it back to its original shipping status.

Restart it and while it boots , press CTRL + F11 its worth a try.

3. shift_key

shift_key Thread Starter

I just tried CTRL + F11, mashing it and holding it while it booted to no avail.

I think I should have mentioned before, but we've been getting the BSoD randomly. And every time we boot up it brings up the Safe Mode options screen.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It doesn't matter what make or model the computer is or what was installed on it prior to this point. If you want to install Windows 2000, either boot from that operating system's CD or use the associated floppies. You'll also need to make sure you have Windows 2000 drivers for all hardware.

5. Sequal7

Sequal7

I should have mentioned, you need to press down the CTRL then the F11 and release them at the same time. It's important that they are releases at the same time! This must be done as soon as the computer begins to boot (during post) and its hard to get it to get to the restore partition, sometime it takes several attempts to get it.

Dells are very picky with formatting because of the cheaper componants they use, make sure that you have all the drivers from the dell site for your model, you can download them all and place them onto a cdrom for your 2k install.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

If you are not sucessful with the Dell restore here is the manual on the Dimension 4600

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600/sm/index.htm

If you install Windows 2000 the first thing you need to do is install service pack 4 if your installation disk does not have service pack 4 on it.

If the machine is still usable you should note what video card, audio card, modem, ethernet adapter, etc. is installed on the machine so you can get the drivers. According to the Dell manual the motherboard has an Intel 865PE chipset and you can get the chipset driver from the Dell or Intel site. You need to install the chipset driver as soon as the operating system and service pack are installed. The chipset driver MUST be installed before the other drivers so the motherboard knows how to configure the other drivers.

2000 Pro with service pack 4 has a pretty good driver data base so you MAY have some of the drivers you need without looking further.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/556570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice