1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FORMATTING fAT32 TO NTFS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kokaik, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kokaik

kokaik Thread Starter

guys I have just finished restored my HP CD to Win XP Sp2 but did a mistake in the early stage by choosing FAT32

Can I do a switch to NTFS without going thru the entire process again or not losing any s/f I have already installed? A friend suggested to type [format c: /fs:ntfs /q] in the run command and restart the PC should do the trick but it didn't happen...

can someone help me here? thx :eek:

2. Scorpion

Scorpion

Found this.....

First, back up your data. Pictures, Word files, whatever it may be, save it all to something off of that drive/partition. Also, by doing this, understand that there is always the risk of data loss. So if something goes wrong, you are the responsible party. Also, make sure all applications are closed before doing this.

OK, now get yourself to a command prompt. Just Start, Run, CMD will get you there. Now type
    CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS

You will be asked to press Y or N. You will want to say N to unmounting right there and then. You will then be prompted schedule a conversion. Say Y to this. From here, just follow the instructions. You will have to reboot. After the PC has restarted, let it run without you doing ANYTHING.

Scorp.

3. kokaik

kokaik Thread Starter

Thanks CS, worked beautifully.

like your signature :p

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Do a CHKDSK from a command prompt and check the allocation unit size. If you see a line that says this, you need to fix that for maximum performance.

512 bytes in each allocation unit.

There is a bug that occurs with 2K, and I've recently found out, with XP, that doesn't allow the allocation units to be converted to the default 4096 bytes, which will adversely affect performance. I fix it with Partition Magic.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice