1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

formatting hard drive for XP home upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Flrman1, Jan 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flrman1

Flrman1 Thread Starter

I have reinstalled XP home (upgrade version) only to find out that my hard drive was not reformatted in the process. This was my first time doing this so I do not know much. After doing a new install of OS I realized that all the old files from my programs were still there , leaving me with 15 gigs used on a 40 gig HD. I have been told this is because I did not reformatt the HD. I was under the impression that doing a new install as opposed to a repair install would reformat. I now have been told that an upgrade version of XP does not have the option to format during setup as the full version does. I want to fomat the HD for a clean install wiping out the old stuff. Can someone direct me to articles or other material that will assis me in doing so? I noticed that if I right click on Drive C in My Computer there is an option there to format. Can I format from there and proceed with a clean install then?

2. TheWendyGuy

TheWendyGuy

Put the install CD in the drive. Reboot the computer

It will go into setup.

When it asks you where you want to install it, delete the partition that is already there so it is all unpartitioned space.

Choose to install it on this unpartitioned space and it will format it for you.

3. Flrman1

Flrman1 Thread Starter

That sounds too easy. Does it give an option to delete the partition that the OS is currettly on or is this one of those things that isn't going to be obvious?

4. Dan O

Dan O

The XP install contains a Disk Manager, which allows you to do anything you like.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111401

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice