Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Formatting Hard Drive & Fresh Install

652 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  fhaslangka 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a old NEC Versa 4050C laptop, 90MHz Pentium, 40MB ram, 4 GB HD, and would like to format the hard drive and then install a fresh version of Win95. I have a removable/swappable CDRom Drive and Floppy Drive. I'm not 100% sure that the CD Drive is capable of booting off a CD. I put in a XP Home CD to test it, and the CD drive whirred but after a long lag Win95 loaded.

I cannot reinstall or uninstall the current Win95 due to someone saving space and not copying the uninstall files.

I have never done a format, so as much detail as possible would be very appreciated.

Thanks, your time is extremely appreciated.

P.S. at some point in time I'd like to install Linux as well. Possibly as DualBoot if the computer can handle that. If I installed Linux at a later date, would I need to reinstall Win95 again or would it install along side Win95?

Thanks again :)

#2 ·
hi there
i dont know the format procedure for win95, since i have never used it. but i have used windows 98 and can tell u the procedure of it.
steps:
1.get a windows 98 bootable floppy.
2. set ur boot sequence to floppy.
3. boot from the floppy.
4. if u want to recreate partitions then use "fdisk" command.
if not just say : format <drivename>
where drive name could be c: ,d: etc.
5. your partitions will be formated and you cant now install a new os by running the setup of the OS u want from the CD rom by going to the CD rom drive and writing setup(which will be the exe of that os).

thats it.
hey buddy i dont know anything abt Linux installation.
P.S: i think the procedure i mentioned above holds true for windows 95 as well but am not sure.
-chanakyakul

#3 ·
In formatting hard disk, fthe fastest way is to boot the cd and at the menu choose run computer with CD-ROM support. after the drivers where properly installed a prompt will appear A:\> type fdisk and press enter (just follow the instructions about creating and deleting partitions) after you have created a partition at A:\> type format c: (A:\>format c:) (c: is the name f your drive) and follow the instrucions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.