1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

formatting hard drive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Tense, Feb 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tense

Tense Thread Starter

Kiwiguy,

2. Tense

Tense Thread Starter

Kiwiguy,
    What are the ".dbx" files and how important are they? Wont they automatically backup to my other hard drive?

3. Rache

Rache Banned

I case Kiwiguy doesn't see this, they are OE files, ie inbox, outbox etc.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Depends how you backup. If using a Windows based copy and paste, many system files will not transfer as they are "locked" while Windows is running.

How are you planning to Backup?

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

OK re-read you other post again. Please keep the same thread as it makes it hard to follow when split like this.

I have never used Backup Wizard but a quick look at Help says:

"The wizard backs up the system state, system services, and all disks associated with the operating system components"

That strongly suggests that none of your data will be backed up, just Windows system files. That means nothing you have created, downloaded etc will be saved. Is that really what you want?

6. Tense

Tense Thread Starter

Kiwiguy,
    In your last thread, 7/2/04, you said that wizard wasn't the way to go, however, in the wizard with XP Pro it gives me three choices for backing up, they are, "back up everything on this computer", "back up selected files, drives or network data", or "only back up the System State data", I chose the first, to back up everything on this computer, which I have done and I backed it up to my second hard drive and it would appear, successfully.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Sounds good. I have only looked at the help files on XP Home.

8. Tense

Tense Thread Starter

Thanks kiwiguy,
    I'll go ahead with the hard drive format and installation of XP Home. I'll let you know how it goes.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/201499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice