1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formatting Hard Drive.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hotshot510, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hotshot510

Hotshot510 Thread Starter

I just installed a second 200 GB hard drive. My master HD is 120 GB. Everything went okay with just one problem. When I format this drive it reads that I have 127 GB free space.
    When I check in Computer Management window it says 127.99 GB NTFS in one box and in a box beside it it says 58.32 GB Unallocated.

What is the 53 GB unallocated? Can I use it in some way ? I would like to be able to use the whole 200 GB of this drive.
    I am using XP Professional SP 2.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

2. PuterPerson

PuterPerson

Very good question. I want to know too.

3. silvershield

silvershield

Make sure you have the proper jumper settings... Refer to your manual if you have to.

4. lazybear

lazybear

Just a shot in the dark but you could go to your hd website and look for something like a big drive enabler. Supposedly it will change your registry to allow for hd's over 127GB or 137GB.

5. Hotshot510

Hotshot510 Thread Starter

Thanks lazybear went to Western Digital site and downloaded their Data Lifegaurd software which changed registry and allowed me to format to 186 GB.
    Now I know lol

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482436

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice