1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

formatting hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chaneyclan, Aug 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chaneyclan

chaneyclan Thread Starter

I am looking at formatting my hard drive and was wondering if I have to have a start up disk to do this.
    The reason I ask is because my computer, while having a 3.5 floppy drive, thinks it has a 51/4. Is there a way I can fix this? I am runnning Windows 98 se on an athlon 900

2. ETS

ETS

Check in your BIOS SETUP to make sure your floppy drive is identified correctly in the "standard features" section. And yes you will need a startup disk.

3. chaneyclan

chaneyclan Thread Starter

Tank you for your help. Now I need to know if I need a copy of Windows 98 se to create the start up disk. I did not get a copy with my computer, all I got was a recovery disk. What can I do?

4. ETS

ETS

I'm not sure about SE but the 1st edition has a file called: BOOTDISK.BAT in the C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND directory. You can run that batch file just by typeing in BOOTDISK from that directory and following the instructions. You can get to that directory by booting to the command prompt or MSDOS mode.
    If that doesn't work, you can boot to Windows and click START-SETTINGS-CONTROL PANEL-double click ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS.
    Select STARTUP DISK tab and click on create disk. It will then let you know if you need the installation CD.

5. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Am I understanding you to say you have the Recovery CD that came with the PC? If so, that's all you should need. You don't need a W98 boot diskette. Most Recovery CDs that I'm familar with, will format the drive during the recovery. Just insert the Recovery CD in the drive and power on the PC. It should boot to the CD and lead you through the process. If it doesn't boot to the CD, let us know. You'll need to get into the BIOS and change the boot sequence to make it look to the CDRom drive first.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/51600

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice