1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formatting Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by computercare, Feb 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computercare

computercare Thread Starter

I am reformatting my hard drive and I am getting this message:
    Formatting Hard Drive 1,218.62M
    Trying to recover allocation unit (with a number that is counting up), (ex 190,160 and counting up).

Is this something that is necessary? How long will it take? I want to load WIN95 onto the hard drive, so any help would be a big help.:confused:

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

It sounds like you have some bad areas on the hard drive.....it could take quite a while to reach the end, depending on how many errors are found.

If the drive is pretty old, you might think about replacing it.

There's also utilities on the manufacturer's websites you can download that will test it for you.

3. codejockey

codejockey

I'd suggest a low-level reformat of the drive first. You probably will have to use a utility from the manufacturer in order to do this; check their website for availability of the latest version. Maxtor, for example, provides free drive diagnostic and preparation utilities for their drives on their website. Once the low-level format is complete, try verifying the drive integrity using the manufacturer's utility. If the drive has hardware problems, they should show up during verification. Note that bad sectors can often be mapped and the drive will still be fully functional. If the drive passes verification, you should be able to format it (format C:/s ) without problems.

Hope this helps -- good luck.

4. p5mmx10g

p5mmx10g

stop wasting time on this old defeated hd, get a new one

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/68531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice