1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

formatting hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ck519, May 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ck519

ck519 Thread Starter

I am trying to format my hard drive. Since the last time that i have done it, I installed a new cd-rom drive on my computer. When I insert the 3.5" master diskette and turn the machine on, I get an error message- "Unable to recognize cd-rom drive". What does this mean and how do I proceed so that I can format my hard drive?

2. Wes2004

Wes2004

Have you formatted c drive from dos???

3. StepsInSC

StepsInSC

Have you actually begun to run fdisk yet? Or did you just install a new CDROM drive and it won't recognize that...?

4. carltasha

carltasha

by master disket do you mean a boot disk? and why would you need it ?

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi ck519, welcome to TSG.

In order to get your cdrom drive recognized, you must boot with a bootable floppy disk.

Go here to download one:

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

Save it to your desktop, double click on it, you'll be prompted for a blank floppy disk.....now you can boot the hard drive with this and your cdrom should be recognized.

You still need to run fdisk, and format on the hard drive, if you haven't already.

6. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

This sounds to me like your machine is trying to boot off the CDR first or only. I would go into the BIOS setup and disable booting from the CDR temporarily (make the floppy first, HD second) and see what you get.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/79779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice