1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formatting hardrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CATTRACK, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CATTRACK

CATTRACK Thread Starter

I need a step by step proceedure for formatting my harddrive.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What operating system are you running and is this a secondary drive that you've added or is this replacing your primary operating system drive?

3. CATTRACK

CATTRACK Thread Starter

I am running windows 98 and this is my primary hard drive.

4. cavtek

cavtek

hi cattrack. if you need a bootdisk, click this link . http://www.bootdisk.com/ ...boot to it and...
    at the A: prompt type.. fdisk..and set your partitions.
    if it wont do that better get another drive. if it will, then after partitioning. reboot to an A: prompt and type... FORMAT C: and name your drive.
    then reboot to the A: prompt and type C:\ and then hit the enter key and type SCANDISK . once the scan is done place your 98 install cd into your cd rom and reboot with cd rom support and type D:\Setup and then enter (the "S" is a capital and the etup is lower case). win98 should start to load... hope this helps....good luck...

5. cavtek

cavtek

oops, diseguard this part...sorry...if it wont do that better get another drive.

6. cavtek

cavtek

oops again...after you type your commands hit the enter button.

7. brite750

brite750

Once you have a win98 boot disk
    Reboot your system with the boot disk in your floppy drive. At the A: prompt, type "format c:" without the quotes (and hit ENTER).
    Your computer will ask for confirmation and then wipe the C drive clean. If you're using the Windows 98 floppy disk, you want to select the "Start with CD-ROM support" option when prompted.
    If your hard drive is partitioned, only the contents of your C: partition will be wiped out.
    Once the reformat is finished put your Windows CD-ROM disk in the CD-ROM drive, and type "D:\setup" at the command prompt.
    In the event that your CD-ROM drive is assigned to another drive letter, say H: -- like on my machine -- you'll need to type "H:\setup" to run the Windows install.
    Once Windows is finished installing, ireinstall your mobo drivers, vidoe card, sound card, etc. and restore your data to the hard drive.

8. winbob

winbob

In the spirit of "Give someone a fish and they eat today....teach someone to fish, and they will eat everyday.", when a question like this is asked, why aren't the KW's for a good Google Search provided so that the asker will "learn to fish".

A Google on "formatting hard drive" gives some more thorough reading than was provided here. (Sorry, but it's true.)

9. cavtek

cavtek

hi winbob, you make a very good point and it is hard to make an arguement againt your statement...yes, a google seach on the web or TSG would provide a much more comprehensive set of instructions than I or BRITE750 provided (i fumbled it, brite750 didnt). question is ...is providing a link or answering a question or request with instructions to GOOGLE IT. in the true spirit of TSG FORUMS ?

10. winbob

winbob

Cavtek,

I think you're missing my point. There is more than one way to provide an answer that allows the asker to be a participant in the solution, rather than a passive observer. The "go Google it" response is at one end of the spectrum.

Providing the asker with the KW's that you yourself may have used to find the answer, or in addition to the KW's, a Direct Link (URL) to the article that you selected out of the Google search as the best...along with some discussion or clarification, is the other end of the spectrum.

Somewhere in the middle is going to still be effective in 'teaching the person to fish'.

I guess finally, I have to ask the question, "What is the true spirit of the TSG Forum?" I don't think it is to give away fish one day at a time. Especially since this Forum resides on what is possibly the greatest collection of information available to the average user since the Libraries of Babylon (if they were available?). How can we not be charged with the duty to lead others to learn how to share this wealth of knowledge?

Lastly, and with a smack of practicality, why would you want to answer the same questions over and over again?

11. southernlady

southernlady

One of the reasons we answer questions instead of telling someone to go *google it* is that:

1: Sometimes the answer isn't easy to find on google the way the person is asking the question.

2: If we tell people to go *google it* then some day, this site won't exist cause we will have chased everyone to google!

3: And many times when I'm *googling* an answer, I END UP back here anyway! Especially if it's a HiJack Log I'm working on. This is ONE of the few forums where you don't HAVE to be a member to read the answers altho I am. When you are researching something that is very important.

So if we stopped answering questions, even the people who *google it* won't have a place to look. Liz

12. winbob

winbob

Liz,

I was born/raised in SE Mich...Detroit to be exact....moved to TX some 22 years ago. Where abouts are you located?

I don't think you missed my last point, but I think that you are worried about making the entire audience self sufficient....don't worry about that!!! For ourselves either!!!!

You said: "So if we stopped answering questions, even the people who *google it* won't have a place to look."

There will always be 'new fish to fry' (sticking with the fish analogy). But my question is, what is the value of answering already answered questions for the nth time?

I did this sort of work for a living with IBM. I was also the DBA for the Q&A Database of 'previously answered questions'. When there were no 'rules', no one ever bothered to look up an answer even if it meant they would get it immediately (our new question turn-around goal was 24 hours).

In order to bring volumes to a manageable level, the system application was modified so that a search of the DB was REQUIRED prior to entering a question. Yes this did the reduce the volume...of 'low hanging fruit'. The questions coming thru became much higher levels of difficulty as the DB got used for the purpose it was designed.

Please note though that the need for a Q&A service never went away. Our audience just got better at being proactive with basic researching rather than basic pleading for help. Everyone was better served.

So don't worry about the Forum going out of business. As long as we offer the best solutions around, people will come to this site....to LEARN about computers, AND to learn about becoming more self sufficient.

13. southernlady

southernlady

I'm south of Detroit almost in Toledo...in fact, Toledo metro claims us as well as Detroit. But *I* was born and raised in the south, hence the *southernlady* and we will be moving back south as soon as we can.

I just don't want people to get the idea that they can't ask questions, even for the Nth time. Liz

14. brite750

brite750

Lets not turn this into the Civilized Debate Forum, someone asked a question and we try to answer or help them the best we can, i'm not going to tell everyone that asked for help to go google it, that is not in the spirit of this forum IMHO, we try to get enough people into trouble as it is :D , and we do help people to do stuff themselves all the time. How many of you have built your own pc with the confidence and help this forum has provided. Not always, but sometimes when a person asks for a fish, i'm giving them a fish, life is short, pick your battles carefully.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice