1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

formatting HD to start afresh

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by petr, Nov 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. petr

petr Thread Starter

HELP!
    How do I format my hard drive to install Win98 OEM?
    I've been running Win95 OEM for about six months, installed when I bought the AMD K6 computer. It is supposed to have an USB support, but I've been unable to get it to work. Recently I've been trying to upgrade to HS internet connection via USB modem, and cannot get the system to see it.
    I was advised that Win95 is not the best for USB support, and that Win98 would solve my problems. Having obtained an OEM version of Win98, I need to wipe my HD to install it properly, thus eliminating any resident problems (which have been bothering since the very beginning).
    I have the Win98 installation CD, which will not boot as far as I know. I was also given a Win98 boot floppy with the installed Win95 (!??), which will boot with CD support.
    How do I go about formatting drive C: and then installing the Win98?

Any help would be appreciated.

Petr

2. Dan O

Dan O

How did obtained the OEM version of Win98?

The reason I ask is it a legal copy that you purchased?

If not, we cannot help you, legal issues.

3. petr

petr Thread Starter

Yes, a perfectly legal copy, obtained in conjunction with additional hardware, which makes it legal (according to the store I bought it in, as the hardware requires minimum of Win98 to operate properly).

4. LooneyTunes

LooneyTunes

First, maksu sure you have a back-up copy of everything you'll want. Once you have re-formatted your drive you will lose everything - permanently.

Second, make sure your floppy disk works ok. Insert your disk and boot up your computer, Ensure that it loads up with CD rom support and can read the CD drive.

Assuming thats ok, at the A:> prompt, type format /u c:

Your system will run a scandisk on the drive and then re-format. Label your drive drive_c .

With your Windows98 CD in your disk drive, at the A:> prompt type setup .

Windows will now begin installation.

A word of warning!
    Make sure that you received a Win98 CD key with your disk. If you don't have a key, you will be unable to save your Windows installation.

Goodluck!

5. slipe

slipe

6. Dan O

Dan O

We are here if you need any additional assistance.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59670

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice