1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

formatting HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlMujtahid, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlMujtahid

AlMujtahid Thread Starter

I have a PC that is tribooting on one drive. Win 98SE, Win2k Pro, and WinXP Home. I have a nother drive installed that is not formatted yet. I am using just for data. Is it better to format as NTFS or FAT32? If I do NTFS then I wont be able to access it with Win98 correct?

Is there a limitation with FAT32 in terms of data storage? Can I only store certain types of data or file sizes?

Also, should I just format by right clicking on drive and selecting format or should I use partition magic?

2. Aaron.W

Aaron.W

There are NTFS drivers for Win98, and I think they are free or at least very inexpensive.

Nevertheless, FAT32 works fine and you are quite unlikely to hit it's limits. I think the file size limit was 4 gigs. ;]

The relative benefits between the two are:

FAT32 is a tiny bit faster in normal operations and defrags more easily. I tend to put permanent swap files on a FAT32 partition on a second drive for performance. Given your triboot setup, I'd use FAT32 for bulk storage of things like archives, music and movies. On a second drive it also is an excellent place for temp files like CD images while burning a disk.

NTFS is more sophisticated and efficient. It has file compression, better security, and is less likely to lose files when a disk error occurs. It's the better choice for large collections of little files, or those you want to keep safe.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167156

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice