1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

formatting help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by prowler351, Aug 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. prowler351

prowler351 Thread Starter

i baught a maxtor hd and i put the win xp cd in after installing it thinking i could format using that.after it asked how much to partition i just hit enter and then the only option to format i had was for ntfs instaed of the fat 32 i wanted.so i exited and then tried using the software that came whith the hd to format but it said 8 mb was not partitioned and i neede to use nt. i dont know what nt is and now my xp cd just reads error loading windows.all i need is a program to format my drive in fat32,where can i D\L
    one? thanks. atleast,i think thats all ill need.

2. rawmeat

rawmeat

NT is what the HD considers XP to be as it is based on NT technology. If you have a 98 boot floppy, boot to it and use fdisk to delete all partitions and create one of the size you want for the OS (I recommend an 8gig C if you drive is at least 20gig big) and then format FAT32 from the 98 floppy. You can get a boot disk from www.bootdisk.com.

3. prowler351

i downloaded it and put it on a freshly formatted floppy disk but when i booted up with the disk in it said to remove all media disks and press any key.do you have to give the disk a name when you format it?

4. pvc9

pvc9

Well the floppy should do the work and wouldnot bother you or give you some error!

What is the exact error you are getting? And no its not required to name the disk when you format!

All you'd have to do is after booting through the floppy type the format c: [enter] command and that should start the formatting process...:)

Also what OS are you using now on the computer through which you are accessing the internet? Is it Win98?

Plz check this and post back...:)

5. prowler351

its the hp that im using to get on the net its also got xp on it.i tried using the bootup disk on this cpu too but i got the same message it just says please remove any media disks and then press any key to continue.maybe that site isnt any good.

6. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

Your description still leaves me guessing as to exactly what you have done. Did you buy an additional disk (the Maxtor) ? Did you add it to your system or replace the old disk ? Will the machine still boot ? If yes, what Operating System ?

If are using XP and your machine will boot this should be simple. Just boot the machine - no CD, no floppy - standard boot...

When Windows initializes right-click MyComputer, select Manage - NOT PROPERTIES - select Disk Management (under Storage). Maximize the Window. In the lower-right pane you should see all of your disk drives. You can right-click the partition you do not want and delete it - careful... don't delete the wrong one. Now you can right-click the undefined space and carve it up (add partitions) any way you want. You can then click the new partition(s) and format it/them the way you want.

Post back if your situation is not as I have assumed.

7. pvc9

pvc9

You could try out Slithy's suggestions. See if they do the work for you and do reply about the results...:)

8. Brooks

Brooks Guest

A couple of things. Don't use a freshly formatted floppy. Sometimes the NT based OS's change the boot table on the floppy and the self extracting image will not work.

Also, I had one of the images that I downloaded that just would not work right.

Try the Win98SE disk from http://dos.li5.org/

The reason it would not let you use fat32, is because in XP and 2000, Microsoft has limited the size of fat32 partitions to 32gigs, so if the partition is over that, it automatically is goign to be formatted in ntfs.

9. prowler351

thanks guys,i didnt have a previous o\s on the cpu,i just built the computer,i pulled my blank hd out and put one from another cpu in it to make sure the rest of the cpu was still working right.and then i had yet another HP computer that i was using to get on the net.i got ahold of a windows 98 disk that actualy worked and formatted it fat 32,then i got my windows disk to boot and it gave me the option to keep my current format instead of ntfs format so i got my hd's full 40 gig capacity in fat32.

10. pvc9

pvc9

If you boot using the cd directly then try to install the OS using it.
    See if you can do so!

11. prowler351

i coudnt do that,i aborted it once because it wanted to format as ntfs and i wanted fat 32.after i aborted the xp cd just gave a non system disk error.but the 98 boot disk did the trick so problems solved

12. pvc9

pvc9

Glad the the things are fine now...:)

Have a great day!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/91307

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice