1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formatting in XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gukicker10, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gukicker10

gukicker10 Thread Starter

I have been encountering problems in XP recently (I.e. Hanging on bootup, different error messages, as well as problems when adding users to XP, etc.) Initially I installed XP over Win 2000. I want to format my C: Drive (which XP is on) and then reinstall XP by booting up from the XP CD. However, my file system is NTFS and it does not allow me to format my c: drive.
    Any suggestions???

2. ossa

ossa

bootup with any W98 floppie......;)

3. brianF

brianF

bootup with the cd and use the advanced options to format, repartition, whatever you want.

4. Borderfox

Borderfox

you can also repair the installation of XP Here's the steps for repairing.

- Make sure your BIOS is set to boot off of CD

- Boot off the XP CD

- Setup will load files

- The next screen will give you the options for "ENTER=Continue, R=Repair, and F3=Quit"

- hit ENTER on this screen (this is not the Repair we want)

- then hit F8 to agree to the license

- now you will be given a screen with three options "F3=Quit, R=Repair, and ESC=Don't Repair"

- hit R

This process will then Repair your XP setup.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64938

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice