Formatting in XP?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gukicker10

I have been encountering problems in XP recently (I.e. Hanging on bootup, different error messages, as well as problems when adding users to XP, etc.) Initially I installed XP over Win 2000. I want to format my C: Drive (which XP is on) and then reinstall XP by booting up from the XP CD. However, my file system is NTFS and it does not allow me to format my c: drive.
Any suggestions???

bootup with the cd and use the advanced options to format, repartition, whatever you want.

you can also repair the installation of XP Here's the steps for repairing.

- Make sure your BIOS is set to boot off of CD

- Boot off the XP CD

- Setup will load files

- The next screen will give you the options for "ENTER=Continue, R=Repair, and F3=Quit"

- hit ENTER on this screen (this is not the Repair we want)

- then hit F8 to agree to the license

- now you will be given a screen with three options "F3=Quit, R=Repair, and ESC=Don't Repair"

- hit R

This process will then Repair your XP setup.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online