1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

formatting maxtor 60

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ajnorem, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ajnorem

ajnorem Thread Starter

when i got the hard drive i formatted it with my winmeand it only formatted the first 32 gigs. but i want to format it to the full 60gigs or as much as i am allowed. what soft ware or dos tricks must i use to do it??? :confused:

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi ajnorem, Welcome to TSG !!
    Make sure you formatted the drive by inserting a boot disk for ME :
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    Set BIOS to boot from the floppy
    Type in FDISK at the prompt. Delete all the partitions and check the size
    Format the drive

If it will not see the entire drive, Find out what motherboard you have and do a BIOS upgrade if it is an older one.

[​IMG]

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suspect you may need a BIOS upgrade to recognize the full size of the disk. Of course, the make/model of the machine, as well as the BIOS date would be a big help to help you determin if that's the cause...

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some of those older Maxtors had a jumper setting to limit the size of the drive. If it was formatted with the jumper in place, you will only "See" 32 gig even if you remove the jumper. If your bios supports drives >32 gig [and you still only see 32] you may need to zero fill the drive.

5. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

I don't disagree with what others said. However, if this was my drive, I would go to the website of the manufacturer (unless you have the disk that came with your drive) and download the Maxblast3 utility (free download) and use either that or the original CD that came with your drive to prepare this disk. The Maxtor utility does a wonderful job in this area. This is a personal opinion.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!