1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formatting mp3 player?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by tiger_tops, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tiger_tops

tiger_tops Thread Starter

Sorry but there isn't a sub-forum that this question fits into so it's in here:

My question is what does formatting an mp3 player mean/do exactly? I did look up formatting but in general it seems to have multiple meaning depending on what you're doing. A lot of it seemed storage based, but i was told i should "just format my mp3 player" when i first get it. Also as an alternative to deleting files i want off it all at once. Is it the same as a hard reset?

I'm not asking this for any particualr reason, i just don't get it, and i want to.... so, thanks!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It means to create a file system on the drive so it is ready to accept and store files. Though a "soft" format does not delete any data from the drive, the files are removed from the File Allocation Table, so the space is available for new files.

3. wfwolfe

wfwolfe

I've had two inexpensive mp3 players, one a 2 gig , one a 1 gig , that would not allow more than 600mb in songs until I formatted them. I have a good phillips that I have never formatted and have 1+ gig in music on it.

4. tiger_tops

tiger_tops Thread Starter

I've heard people claim the opposite though - that they appeared to have less space after formatting.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Formatting a small drive with NTFS will definitely give you less space since the file system structure takes space. But formatting a 2 GB or smaller drive with FAT should give you all the space available.

This is a good tool for formatting USB devices:

HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701278

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice