1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formatting MY HD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by eatusfoetus, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eatusfoetus

eatusfoetus Thread Starter

Hey guys,

My pc is running a bit slowe lately, got lots of stuff, (too much on it).

So I'd like to restore my pc back to factory settings. I have aroud 110 gig of stuff and I don't want to lose it. So I bought a firewire drive to back it all up on. My plan is, transfer all my data to the external hd. Then formatting my hd completley and rebooting as new, then transferring my needed data abck on to my pc.

I've neevr formatted before so not to sure how. My main worry is the pc not restarting (once its been cleaered of old data). I have a start up cd that came with my pc but i have no windows xp cd( (it came pre installed).

Any ideas, words of warning, suggestions or similar would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks guys.

Ef:eek:

ps. feel free to add and tell me voer msn on: [email protected]

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

What Brand/Model pc? . . some manufacturers have a recovery partition on the drive which restore to the condition shipped . . do not format if you do not have a XP installation CD

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Some vendors include a startup CD that will put computer back the way it came from the factory. Since they didn't give you a XP CD, hopefully this is the case. You might want to check with the manufacturer rather than guessing on this one.

4. Hurley6x

Hurley6x

Some companies allow you to purchase restore cds if you have lost them as well. I know dell does for sure.

Also i know that some HP's for example dont have a specific Operating System cd, but rather a set of cds that will eventually put the computer to factory state. (As said above)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/448348

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice