1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formatting NvMe m.2 before reinstalling windows 10????

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by DARKJOKER1970, Aug 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARKJOKER1970

DARKJOKER1970 Thread Starter

I did like 3 checks of the posts going back quite awhile and couldn't find any relating to my 2 questions? I also have mt rig in a boot-able state at the moment with (boot-able minitool partition wizard for technicians) so I cant run the SysInfo tool right now....if I can find the right knowledgeable techy I doubt my specs will be needed.

After a week and 7 installs of 1903 MS and I final figured out the issues....till last night when I got the Cumulative (part 2) 1903 update, after restart my whole system is freezing and like 6 clicks behind...took 2 minutes to delete a folder because is freezing.

So I have 1903 already prepared on a boot-able USB with ISO file ready to go. SOOOO...here are my 2 questions.

#1 - how to safely format/then set reasonable partitions on my Samsung Nvme M.2 MZVLV256 PM951 BEFORE I boot in with my creation tool?

#2 - I have the new 3.1 driver for my M.2 and have tried everything I've read to get it to install with no luck....any clues?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I do not know if it is me being a little slow, but I cannot make sense of what you are actually asking
    You say
    so I read that as all was Ok until the latest updates completed

However you then ask
    If the installation sees the M2 NVME drive, which presumably it does as you said - as above - you figured out the issues.
    Then you do not need the driver to install the OS

On the NVME when the computer boots from the installation media and asks where you want to install 10, you select the NVME
    YOU DO NOT need and neither should you use Mini Partition tool
    You delete ALL partitions on the drive, so that you end up with the total Capacity of unallocated space.
    The install media then creates the necessary partitions and you install window to the primary

Follow this procedure.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html
    Follow basic entry procedures and then 14 presuming you system is UEFI

If the drive is not shown then with that driver you listed on another usb connected on the window shown on the link - click load driver
    More than likely the drive will be shown

YOU should disconnect all other drives to ensure that windows installs only to the NVME
    IF the drive is NOT shown

NOTE the above presumes that your board will boot from the Samsung
    https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...960-EVO-w-PCIe-quot-Windows-cannot/m-p/192099

However as I said above you seem to indicate you have had it installed to the Samsung NVME and all was OK until the updates

That MAY be a problem caused by a third party AV program
    If you have installed such, on the first occasion, then do not do so on this install use the included Windows Defender.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231008

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice