1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formatting partition without booting from disk.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Dawkins, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawkins

Dawkins Thread Starter

I'm in a bit of a pickle here. My CD drive won't allow me to boot from CDs anymore, for whatever reason. I have 2 partitions on my hard drive and I'm wondering if it's possible to format the main partition by copying the windows setup files to my secondary and then somehow running them from there, whilst wiping the main one. I really don't want to reinstall without formatting, but right now I have no other option. :(

2. Gouthaman

Gouthaman

You can install Windows from a USB drive. (You can format the partition in this process). Just read this article and follow the instructions.

If you are trying to install Windows XP read this instead.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977044

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice