1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formatting PC

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jeromeleroy, Oct 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jeromeleroy

jeromeleroy Thread Starter

Hi,

I went to format my pc, using the recovery bootdisk i have.Im on XP.I put the disk in and typed in dos, format c:. everything seemed to be goin a ok and then it asked for teh volume label, i pressed enter then rebooted my pc with the disk in again.

I then typed format c: again as i thought the origional format didnt happen. I then get a message saying that this disk is not able to format. the bootdisk also doesnt seem to load correctly now either.

i wonder if someone can help me, the pc has not been formatted yet as i am using it as i type this message to you.

thank you

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Why are you formatting??

3. jeromeleroy

im selling the computer to a friend

thanks

4. jeromeleroy

Hi

Can anyone help because i really needed to do this for tomorrow as that was when i was looking to sell it. I thought it was goin to be straight forward but ive seemed to have got myslef into a lot of bother.

Thanks

5. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Formatting will not help if you are selling a computer. Most of the data 90% or more is recoverable. You will have to use stuff like eraser or dban to really clean a job. If you just want to format you can still use other methods, but it is not clean.

6. jeromeleroy

I dont really need to make stuff unrecoverable but its mainly viruses im getting rid of.

Is it possible for anyone to give me step by step instructions of how to format the hard drive

thanks

7. valis

valis Moderator

agreeance with ixneon....would be better just erasing the disk and reinstalling windows.

8. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Since you are reinstalling XP, the installer (unless it is a factory thing) should allow you to delete/ remove partitions, and will format them for you. A factory restore cd will set the computer back to how it was before, clearing all data, and replacing it with the originals. Either way would work. If it is a normal windows xp cd, boot the computer w/ the cd into setup, when it asks about partitions delete them all, add one that takes up the whole drive, make it ntfs (recommended) and then let windows install itself there. It will format for you.

To format on your own get a universal bootdisk online, load it up and go2 fdisk, fdisk the partitions to nothing, then make 1 primary partition. Windows may end up removing this at setup tho (if its xp). remove the mbr by fdisk /mbr or fixmbr.

Many ways, depends on what os and which disk you are using.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Use a boot disk (fdisk) to remove all the partitions, create a new one, format it FAT32, as iXneonXi has mentioned. You can't format an NTFS disk from DOS. You need to run fdisk (or delpart.exe) first and remove the partitions.

(as Useful boot disks that contain additional tools, NTFSDOS (read-only), automated installation of Windows 95 through 2k3, aefdisk for partitioning, gdisk and fdisk for partition management, delpart.exe for deletion of stubborn partitions, LapLink for network transfer of files, scanreg, low-level format, BIOS clear, and many more, can be obtained here (the boot CD contains additional programs for read and write access to NTFS partitions, chkdsk and defrag for NTFS, Ranish Partition Manager, testdisk for partition recovery, other partitioning tools, xxcopy, and a program that allows editing of the boot.ini file):
    Boot Floppy image--> [​IMG]
    Boot CD image--> [​IMG]
    These disks create a RAM disk and load all files to it so that the disks can be removed after booting if the drive is needed for something else, such as a Windows installation CD. Because the commands are executed from the RAM drive, it is much faster than disks that execute from a floppy.

10. jeromeleroy

Thnaks i have XP home edition, the disk is (bootdisk 3.0 reffiup04450300) ive just tried again and it says every time i type format c:

format on this drive is not supported.

The oemsetup on the disk doesnt run correctly as does the autoexec from the stat.

Any explanations.

Thanks

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can't format NTFS partitions from DOS. See above.

Or use Darik's Boot and Nuke to make a boot disk and nuke the whole drive.

12. jeromeleroy

Okay sorry about that. I dont want to sound like a pain but a lot of this is goin over my head, would it be possible to create a step by step instructions on how to do this?

thanks

13. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Look, if you are not going to use that windows disk again (as only one can be used per liscense) and it will be transferred to the new owner, then just install windows on the computer again. WindowsXP installer should handle partitions, allow the removal, adding, and formatting of NTFS. Why worry about it in dos, if the object is to reformat, then to install windows?

14. jeromeleroy

How should i wipe the computer then, plus i do need to put windows xp back on aswell but i only have that recovery disk which doesnt seem to be working as i said when i put it in it doesnt load everything up

15. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Recovery disk as in floppy, or windows Recovery CD. Howmany CDs and is it manufacturer cds or the original cd(s).
    example: HP System Recovery CDs, Windows XP Home (Original)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/410242

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice