1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formatting with no floppy

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bradstard, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bradstard

Bradstard Thread Starter

Hi, I've got a slight problem here. I bought a new Laptop from a person who didn't include a floppy drive with it. I didn't mind at first, but now I need to format the laptop and I can't make (or use) a boot disk. I read that I can make it boot from the cd-rom, but I really have no idea what to do, I've never installed winXP from the cd before. Can anybody help me out?

2. stu37

stu37

ok, go to the bios and set it so cd rom boots first in the sequence. then make sure you save and exit. to get to the bios just keep clicking delete while booting. Good luck. Is this an xp ugrade or not. If an upgrade, you will need an older version of windows when asked during install

3. C'plus

C'plus

In order for your laptop to boot from the cd you have to change your boot options in BIOS. Restart your laptop press "del" to enter setup. This has been awhile so bare with me, i think it is in the integrated peripherals menu but im not positive, that will show the boot order ie. Floppy, Hard drive, CD rom. If it isnt that menu it will be one of them but you should see what im talking about, changing the boot order wont do any harm so dont worry. What you need to do it change your primary boot device to your CD rom. After doing this exit Bios, and make sure you save this settting, you will have the option of saving and quitting and quitting without saving. Now after you have exited, put the XP disk in the cd rom and restart the laptop, this should solve your problem.

p.s. dont play around in bios unless you see exactly what i described, this is how my bios works, if you dont see what i talked about, post back here.

4. Bradstard

Bradstard Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick answers, I'll try that out and report back!

5. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

Does this image help at all?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

You can just follow the instructions on the right, (using the +/- to move the order) an put the floppy (if you have it) then CD-ROM, then HDD's.

7. Bradstard

Bradstard Thread Starter

Mine didn't look exactly like that, but I figured it out. I would like to erase everything though, if I format the hard-drive, will I still be able to boot from the CD, or will I need the drivers installed for it?

8. stu37

stu37

yes you can

9. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

BIOS is not on the HDD, it's built into the motherboard. It loads before anything else, which is why you have to be EXTREMELY careful when you upgrade the BIOS.

Sorry, got a bit off the tipic there... Back on topic:

When you boot to the CD, you can just delete the partition and make a new one. That'll format it.

10. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

It's a virtual computer. It's easier than digging out my digital camera, rebooting my computer, and taking a picture.

11. Bradstard

Bradstard Thread Starter

Ok, sorry to keep asking all these stupid questions, but XP is foreign to me. How can I format the drive if it won't let me into dos?

12. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

When the XP CD setup asks you what partition you want to Install XP on, click whatever partition is there and delete it, then make a new partition. You can do all of this in the setup.

13. Bradstard

Bradstard Thread Starter

ok, everything seems to be running smoothly, thanks a lot guys!! You saved me.....again....

14. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

You're Welcome! I'm here to serve up hot, fresh, Technical Support.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice