1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formatting XP, Please Help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cnelson04, Dec 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cnelson04

cnelson04 Thread Starter

hey guys, i'm haveing tonz of probleums with XP and i'm not really sure what to do, i don't have much space left and i would like to just start over i have formatted it twice before, and fixed all the probleums.
    [​IMG]
    now if i do it from that will i still need the windows XP cd and such, i also have my dell recovery cd if this helps? Thankz for any help! :)

2. Dan O

Dan O

I recommend you contact Dell's technical support and request a new Recovery CD that includes Windows XP SP2, which will eliminate a lot of headaches. I read that the Dell CD has an option to reformat the drive before the Recovery, so ask them about it when you contact them.

3. cnelson04

cnelson04 Thread Starter

I might just call Dell and have them walk me threw it, but i don't really want to upgrade to SP2 because lots of my programs won't run on it, games mostly. but i'm still not sure.. i would like to be able to have things run good without formatting but i doubt that will happen. so i'm still lost with what to do.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Anything that runs on SP1 will run on SP2. The warnings are somewhat overstated. If SP2 prevents your application from running simply because it uses restricted memory areas, they can be added to the exception list and will still run fine. That is, of course, unless there is some other reason they won't run on SP2 other than memory usage, but I can't imagine what that would be.

Specifically, why do they say they won't run on SP2?

PS. If you try to foramt with the window in your illustration, it won't let you. You can't format the partition that the formatter is running on.

But how will you restore XP if you don't have the CD?

5. Dan O

Dan O

With all the hackers on the net I recommend you partition your hard drive and dual boot so you can run SP2 and maybe Windows 98SE for your games. It is what I do.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Or you can run 98 in a virtual machine within XP and have just the single partition. That way you can run XP and 98 at the same time.

www.vmware.com

7. Dan O

Dan O

Elvandil,

VMware is a great product. We use it at work but it costs about $200 and may be a little confusing for some.

8. cnelson04

cnelson04 Thread Starter

no i have XP installed and i have the reinstall CD i'm not really worried about programs not running but i'm not sure how i would format my HD. i have the windows install CD but when i put it in theres only things like install XP not format and install XP.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Right after you agree to the license (F8), there will be an option to remove all partitions and format. It's a good idea to remove them all and rebuild them at that point to eliminate any possible errors. Then format NTFS. It will all be in the directions on the screen if you keep going.

10. cnelson04

cnelson04 Thread Starter

ok thank you, i will try and see what your doing talking about, hopefully it's as easy as you make it sound. thx. :)

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

[​IMG]You'll be surprized (pleasantly) how easy it really is. It's improved a bit from the old "fdisk Win98" days.

We'll be here if you have any problems, but the onscreen guide is pretty good.

12. cnelson04

cnelson04 Thread Starter

do i need to do this by booting right from the windows xp install CD? or can i just put it in and follow the guide? thx.

13. Dan O

Dan O

You will need to boot with the XP CD.

14. cnelson04

cnelson04 Thread Starter

well i jusr testarted even through i tried this before everything seams to be 100% better, i've decieded not to format and just deal with what i have and basicly just take off all the programs i don't use. witch is a lot. i've also ran HiJackThis and i've posted in the surcuty forum so we'll see if that turns up anything. and i'll update to SP2 i'm sure all of this will help in some way, but thankz for all the advice! :)

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

That will save you some time, for sure.

Thanks for the followup.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!