1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formatting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrDossier, Jul 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrDossier

MrDossier Thread Starter

Hi, I need some instructions for deleting my old WIN95 so that I can install WINme. It's not an upgrade but a WINme for OME, if previous version can be detected then WINme will not install. Any advice is appreciated. :)

2. Jammless

Jammless

3. saikee

saikee

It may sound brutal but you there is nothing to stop you from asking Windows to format a DOS bootable floppy. power down, power up, boot to that floppy, change to the drive that store the Windows, delete as much as you like or the entire Windows directory, come out reboot with the installation CD. Works every time for every version of WIndows if you want the bugger out.

A neater way is to copy the DOS command "Fdisk" out onto the floppy. When the floppy boots up use the fdisk command to delete all the partitions and the hard drive is as good as new for a new installation.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Do you mean WinME for OEM? Some OEM disks are not bootable.

5. brite750

brite750

You better have a winme start up disk (1.44), maybe a win95 disk would work also. Make a start up disk from win95 or d/l one from the net.

6. Jammless

Jammless

You can boot your win ME disk from a win 95/98/ME start-up disk. As for the disk being OEM, and not bootable, as Candy says, I'm not sure. I have loaded OS from any start-up or boot disk I happen to have laying around at the time.

7. brite750

brite750

Not sure about ME but 98x needs to have cd-rom drivers loaded from the startup disk, although with new cdrom being bootable that may not be an issue.

8. Jammless

Jammless

Yes, you are right. I forgot that the drivers are not on the Win 95 start-up disk. But the appropriate start-up disk is available on the internet. I don't have the link right here. I am sorry for my mis-information. I'm sure that someone can provide the link for a start-up disk. You can also search for a windows ME start-up dosk through google.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/249332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice