1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

formatting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Cheetta, Jul 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cheetta

Cheetta Thread Starter

basicly i need someone to take me through reformatting my hardrive

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you are planning on installing XP, boot from the CD to start the installation. Formatting will appear as an option.

Is there some reason you need to format it outside of XP setup?

3. Cheetta

Cheetta Thread Starter

no it's cool i figured that, i simply have misplaced my cd and was wondering if i could do it by some other means

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you want to format NTFS, and that is preferred for XP, then the options are limited. It can't be done from a normal boot floppy.

If you know who your manufacturer is, look on their site (or let us know who it is). They usually have free software for preparing disks for installation that include NTFS formatting.

Failing that, I have a program around here that I could put up for you to download.

If you don't have the disk, how will you reinstall?

If you want to format FAT32, you can do it from a 98 boot disk.

5. Cheetta

Cheetta Thread Starter

you are losing me here NTFS? that would be good if you could post that program i'll find my disk just give me some time

6. Cheetta

Cheetta Thread Starter

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. NTFS is the file system that should be on the hard drive if you will be installing an NT-based operating system like XP. FAT32 is the one for Windows 98 or ME. So how you format depends on what you plan to install afterward.

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/377831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice