formatting

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cheetta

basicly i need someone to take me through reformatting my hardrive

If you are planning on installing XP, boot from the CD to start the installation. Formatting will appear as an option.

Is there some reason you need to format it outside of XP setup?

Cheetta

no it's cool i figured that, i simply have misplaced my cd and was wondering if i could do it by some other means

If you want to format NTFS, and that is preferred for XP, then the options are limited. It can't be done from a normal boot floppy.

If you know who your manufacturer is, look on their site (or let us know who it is). They usually have free software for preparing disks for installation that include NTFS formatting.

Failing that, I have a program around here that I could put up for you to download.

If you don't have the disk, how will you reinstall?

If you want to format FAT32, you can do it from a 98 boot disk.

Cheetta

you are losing me here NTFS? that would be good if you could post that program i'll find my disk just give me some time

OK. NTFS is the file system that should be on the hard drive if you will be installing an NT-based operating system like XP. FAT32 is the one for Windows 98 or ME. So how you format depends on what you plan to install afterward.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online