1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

formatting....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 02098, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 02098

02098 Thread Starter

I have a seagate 160gb sata hdd partitioned to 40 and 120 gb.
    With Windows xp Home sp2 on the 40gb.
    If i format the 40gb hdd will i have to reinstall the sata drivers?.......

thanx

2. smbd

smbd

You will have to reinstall them, if your sata hdd works using special drivers. Otherwise you won't. For example, I didn't have to reinstall, Windows recognized sata hdd by itself...

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you have an intel mb or your board uses an intel controller, then probably no. If your sata controller is anything other than intel, then most likely yes you will need to load the sata driver during setup when prompted to hit the F6 key.

4. 02098

02098 Thread Starter

sorry i should have given more info...
    board: gigabyte k8nf-9 (Nforce 4)
    i tried installing xp for the first time and it windows didn't boot from the hdd, but i didn't change anything in the bios cept the boot sequence to hdd(which didn't help), I got a friend to install windows and it worked but i didn't see what he did to get the hdd to boot, i just think that he installed sata drivers but could he have changed settings in the bios to boot from the sata drive instead of the ide?....

thanx

5. physician

physician

you have to go into the bios and see if it shows your sata drive.

the other thing is that when you install a new windows os, right at the beginning of the install you will get a screen that says if you have to install hard drive drivers, do it now by hitting F6 as crj was trying to tell you. If you don't do it then, you will have to start all over again. you may have to look in your mobo manual too...doc

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/386958

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice