Formatting

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

astrodaddy

Hi,

Ive been using my com for the past couple of years after purchasing it from someone else.

Ive been thinking about formatting it and starting again from scratch so maybe it will run better, but here is my problem.

When I purchased this com, it was running Windows 98. I borrowed my step-sons Windows ME upgrade cd to install a newer operating system on it and it installed fine, what im wondering is if I format my HD, can I re-install the ME upgrade again? I still have the ME disk.

Heres the info on my com,

Windows ME
Pentium 2 350 Mhz
10 gigs
196 Mb RAM

I want to format because I think there is a ton of junk in my com that was there when I bought it, and that I dont need.

I also need to know exactly how to re-format it, as ive never done this before. Should I save some programs to CD before formatting?

Thanks!

Yes you can. At some point, since it is an upgrade CD, you will need to have your Win98 CD.

Before you reformat, you should backup whatever data you have on there (e-mail, documents, pictures etc.) that you might want to keep. Programs will need to be reinstalled so make sure you have all the disks for them.

Information on a variety of ways to install (or re-install Win9x) can be found at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/win9x_install.htm

Topics covered are:
Overview
FDISK and/or FORMAT
First Time Install
Simple Re-Install - (Over Existing Installation)
Clean Installation or Upgrade - (Keeping Windows & Program Files Directories)
New Installation - (Removing Original Files without a Format)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
As Bob has already said, since that ME CD is an upgrade version, you will also need a 98/98SE CD. The setup process will recognize the ME CD as an upgrade version and will ask you to insert a CD with a previous operating system for confirmation purposes before the setup process can continue. Once it recognizes the 98/98SE CD, it will ask you to reinsert the ME CD. The setup process will then continue and finish.

Make sure you have the 25-digit product code for the ME CD, and make sure to select C:\WINDOWS as the install location.

To insure that you have a fully-bootable startup disk, go to Bob's site here and click the "Windows 98 boot floppy image" link. This will allow you to download and save the win98_img.exe file. After you have done that, insert a blank floppy disk in its drive, then double-click the file and allow it to extract its contents into the floppy disk. You will then have a fully-bootable startup disk for formatting the hard drive and doing a fresh install of ME.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online