1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formay HDD with XP OS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tcox, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tcox

tcox Thread Starter

This is possibly a HDD issue, however, i have managed to corrupt or loose the windows\system32\config\system file. As such windows XP will now not load. This occurred when i tired to relaod XP to fix an outlook express problem. XP loaded to about 39% and then shut down. It just keeps doing the same thing. So hey, i figured i would just dump and reload from scratch, but do not know how to format drive as can not get the computer to start in a command prompt dos mode to allow me to format drive.
    All suggestions greatly appreciated. THANK YOU.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

When you boot your system from the XP CD, you should have all the options you need?

What options do you get?

3. tcox

tcox Thread Starter

I have now realised that if i go into the BIOS settings and change the boot sequence to CD ROM first it will load from the CD in lieu of the other way which is loading the program as an upgrade which is not working. The only problem here will be that it will be a clean load and i will loose all my mail etc. While i am here out of interests, do you by chance know how to back up the Outlook express e-mail and address book? Have tried many people with this one with no one having a solution. Many thanks.

4. dai

dai

do a repair
    boot from the xp cd and choose install
    ignore the first repair option that comes up continue with install
    when windows finds the previous installation then do this repair
    you will have to reload your video drivers and any ms updates
    i.e. sp1 ect. but all of your files will remain intact

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169630

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice