Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

FormMail not reading certain numbers

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  MikeBlur 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am no-ones idea of a developer, but since I became responsible for our co's website, I'm going to need help.

Our contact form uses the FormMail script from Matt's Script Archive. The telephone numer field is a "required" field, but I can't make out from the source code what the requred values are.

A number with spaces (like 081 129 5363) is not recognized, and the error message "a number is required" comes up. The same number without spaces (0811295363) is fine, but then so is a simple number like 012 accepted.

So how do see what values the script is looking for, and what should I change them to?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Mike Blur

#2 ·
You should get rid of Matt's script; it is a security risk. Many ISPs won't let you run it anymore, and I can tell you from reviewing my logs that there are bad guys out there looking for that script.

Replace it with nms-Formmail, which can be configured as a Matt's workalike but without the security issues.
http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/

Doing the replacement may also solve your telephone number problem; I use nms-formmail and I don't have that problem with it.

#3 ·
Actually, I'm about to go to bed so I'm not going to take the time to look this up right now, but IIRC neither Matt's nor nms particularly care what the fields you provide on your form are, so long as you provide the info necessary to send the email.

Hence, these scripts won't parse the data for validity. If you want to parse a phone number for validity, you have to write the parser yourself and insert it into the script.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.