1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formula Error in Excel 2007

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Goldenavatar, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Goldenavatar

Goldenavatar Thread Starter

Salutations,

I'm working in Excel 2007 and am running into an annoying error. When I try and type in some data Excel interprets it as a formula and returns an error. For example, I want to type "4C" into a cell. Excel thinks that's supposed to be a formula and auto-correct says it should be "C4". The annoying part is that it won't let me type "4C" at all because the error message comes up everytime. For some reason this only happens in 1 sheet in the workbook. I can type "4C" in another sheet and then copy/paste it into the sheet I wanted. Any idea what's going on here?

Cheers!

2. draceplace

draceplace

Try typing an apostrophe ( ' ) before you type your text. Other options would be to go into settings and turn autocorrect for formula's off . Not using 2007 so I'm not sure of the exact settings in there.

3. Goldenavatar

Goldenavatar Thread Starter

Yes. Using a leading apostrophe does work. But why do I need to do that when everything works fine in the other sheets in the worksheet. I guess that's my question. Why does this happen in one sheet and not in the others? And I did try changing the auto-correct settings but to no avail. I imagine there is some setting somewhere causing this, but I didn't create the workbook, so I don't know what it may be.

4. draceplace

draceplace

I feel your pain. (sometimes) Asking 'why' about a MS product can lead you on a useless time consuming journey. Sometimes just finding a work around then get on with your life is the best solution.

Hopefully someone will have a better answer...but don't hold your breath while waiting.

5. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

Possibilities abound. Iwould Save as a new workbook. Click the cells button (left of A and above 1) to highlgt the entire sheet. copy it, open a new worksheet(same workbook) pate it - see what you get then. If all is OK - you have the malfunctioning workbook to look at when you can, and the new one to get on with business.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1063160