1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Forwarded port still blocked

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Charrey, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Charrey

Charrey Thread Starter

I'm developing a Java application for which I need a port to be unlocked; for this I chose port 2772. However, regardless of port forwarding within the router the application fails and online (canyouseeme.org) and offline (Simple Port Tester) state the port is closed. I've connected my pc directly to the modem without router, forwarded on the modem with my new IP address and it worked just perfectly; when the router is in between it doesn't.

My router is a NETGEAR WNDR3700v2.

My pc has a static IP of 192.168.1.150. I forwarded port 2772 to 2772 to this IP both TCP and UDP.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT:

Screenshots from modem:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No need and no capability to port forward on a modem. So, it's pretty easy to guess that your "modem" is actually a modem/router combo. When you add the second router do you port forward the first router to the second (am guessing that you may be missing this step), and then the second router to your computer?

3. Charrey

Charrey Thread Starter

In fact, I did do that; I added some screenshots from the modem settings page for clarification.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    And this is why you don't use two routers. If your first router is a modem/router combo you can either turn it into a gateway only or bridge device or you need to first forward the ports to the static WAN IP address of the second router and then forward on the second router again to the PC. Or place the second router in the DMZ of the first router which means giving the WAN a static IP address on the second router within the IP range of the first router.

5. Charrey

Charrey Thread Starter

But I actually did that, yet it's not working.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    FWIW I've been continuing to follow this, but since you did the double forwarding I do not know why it is not working. You may want to try the DMZ method next.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    To what IP address did you forward the ports to on the First router? What is the IP address of the second router.

Why are you using two routers?

8. Charrey

Charrey Thread Starter

On the first router I forwarded to 192.178.1.13, on the second one to 192.168.1.150.
    Very good question. Guess a solution would be to replace it by a switch..

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did you assign the router the IP 192.168.1.13 and the PC 192.168.1.150?

A switch is the proper way to get more ports, a wireless access point is the way to get additional wireless coverage, both are the way to go instead of using two routers.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    :confused: ?? I thought I saw something above that indicated that the first router's LAN used 192.168.178.x? You better double check your assignments.

Or use the second router as a switch. :)

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Indeed, the screenshots from one of the routers does show an IP scheme of 192.168.178.x

Turning off DHCP and connecting the cable from the first router to a LAN port instead of the WAN port on the second router would also be an option, that would effectively turn the second router into a switch/AP.

12. Rockn

Rockn

What service uses 2772? Looking on Speedguide.net it comes up as Backdoor Subseven or arius and a known range of for a P2P app which your ISP may be actively blocking

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1162853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice