1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Forwarding automatically hotmail mail from one sender

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by pyman, Jul 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pyman

pyman Thread Starter

its been a very long time since I used my hotmail account, the last time I used it was for receiving emails in relation to my family history searches.

I want to resume that again but with all the spam and unwanted emails I get in hotmail, I wonder if there is a way where I can have email sent to me from a particular sender / email address automatically forwarded to my Main email address.

I know I can have all my emails forwarded but that defeats the exercise, I just need it to forward from one or two addresses.

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Forget about Hotmail; it's old hat. You should be able to "convert" your previous email address into youremailaddress@outlook.com (replacing youremailaddress with your own, naturally). This site will show you how to do that.

Once you log into your Outlook account, click on the cog near the top-right of the screen to open Settings. You'll see a link at the bottom of the open pane entitled View all outlook settings, so click on it. Under the Mail sub-heading, you'll see an option for Rules, so click on that. Click on Add new rule, name it, and from there you can set up your forwarding criteria.

3. pyman

pyman Thread Starter

Hi
    Yes, I do access the account via outlook.com and I have seen that rules section but I don’t know what I am doing wrong.....

I open rules, give the rule a name, then on the next box down I select from then add the senders email
    Then on the next box down select forward to, and enter the email address I want it going to, then save.

It then promptly doesn’t work!

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Okay, a few thing to check here:
    1. Make sure you have the exact email address for the sender.
    2. Make sure you have the exact email address for the forwarding address.
    3. On the account for the forwarding address, make sure the email you're forwarding isn't being sent inadvertently to Junk Mail.

5. pyman

pyman Thread Starter

Yeah, done all that and deleted and re-entered the details.

Today I set up this forwarding using my work and personal emails, forwarding emails sent from my work, to my personal email. I left it all day and just discovered it has forwarded 4 of the 10 emails I sent between 10am and 2pm have come through, and within a minute of them arriving at my hotmail account.

It’s all rather odd, and obviously unreliable

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!