1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fouled up user profile

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MAXn3, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAXn3

MAXn3 Thread Starter

Last night my laptop (Dell, Win2000) was working normally. A Windows update downloaded without asking me but I didn't install anything. When I shut down, things all closed but the blank screen just stayed there for about 15-20 minutes before I powered off to go to bed. Today, it recognizes my usual login name but treats me like a new user. Different desktop, things not in startup menu, etc. When I looked in Docs & Settings, it looks like a new profile has been set up ( old one is there too) but it's "ABC.laptop8000"
    where it was only ABC before. I deleted the new profile folder once but it came back when I started up again

How do I get my settings back? Why won't it see the old profile? My son's profile works. All programs appear to be there. I had administrator privelidges too.

I do have NAV & Zone alarm so I doubt its a bug

I'd appreciate any help

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice