1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Found new Hardware - Again???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kevt, Jan 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kevt

kevt Thread Starter

I have just moved a HP Deskjet 690c printer from one computer on my network to another. As soon as I plugged it in the found new hardware wizard appeared. It installed the printer, but right at the end the wizard said, "Cannot Install this Hardware" along with "The system cannot find the file specified" (although no filename is given). However, the pinter driver is installed OK and prints fine.

That's OK, except that every time I restart the computer, up pops the Wizard again. I can cancel, but its pretty annoying. I have tried deleting and re-installing but I cannot get past this. Any ideas?

The PC is Windows XP Professional, SP2 installed.

2. win98se

win98se

You could try removing the printer and then re-installing it - at least there'd be some new hardware to detect... :)
    I run XP Pro and occasionally find that a dll refuses to register, may be that's the case here?

3. kevt

kevt Thread Starter

Yeah,
    I tried that a couple of times. Also tried a different driver, but no luck. I installed a network driver for another printer OK. Its just this new hardware wizard.

4. sle

sle

I had this problem with a Lexmark printer. Eventually, Lexmark put out a driver that fixed it . . . I would suggest trying both HP and Microsoft's drivers, then calling HP just to make sure they know they have something to work on.

5. mike5532g

mike5532g

Workaround for HP Printers:

1. When the Found New Hardware Wizard starts at startup of the computer, click <next>.

2. When it asks you for the HP disk, (the next thing that will require a response from you probably), click <ok>. However, do NOT insert the disk into your CD-ROM drive.

3. On the next screen that comes up, there will be a button that is already highlighted telling the wizard where to find the printer driver (which is what it is looking for). This button will be pointing it at "other media, CD-ROM,
    etc.

The trick is to DESELECT this button. At that point, the button for your C: drive will become active and you can select the C: drive. It will also probably be prompting you with the location for the already installed HP printer driver that is somewhere on your C: drive. (If not, you need to click browse and locate the driver).

4. After you have deselected the CD-ROM and selected the C: drive, click <ok> (or <next> or whatever.) The Wizard then makes a second copy of your printer driver (and, by the way, creates a second "installed printer" in your Control Panel/Printers). And then, the wizard finally completes and tells you that you have successfully installed the new hardware.

5. On subsequent startup, the Wizard should then NOT run.

6. kevt

kevt Thread Starter

I'll give this a try, however I never put a CD in anyway. The driver its using is the standard Windows XP driver. The driver disk I have is an old Win 95 driver that came with the printer. HPs website says that the driver is supplied with Win XP and does not allow me to download a new one. The 690C is a pretty ancient printer.

I actually think the problem is not with the driver, because that installs OK and the printer works. Rather it's the last step of the Found New Hardware Wizard, that marks the driver as successfully installed, that's failing.

7. kevt

kevt Thread Starter

Solution was to remove all traces of the driver. Then when Find new hardware wizard came up ensure the checkbox for "Automatically detect and install my plug and play printer" is deselected. Then complete the wizard by selecting the driver manually.

It's odd because the detection routine found the correct driver anyway, but still now all is fine.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!