"Found New Hardware" - It's not new

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Danquigny

I have a device plugged into a USB port and it fails occasionally. When it does, I have to unplug the cable and plug it back in. When I do, Windows keeps saying "Found New Hardware", and it suggests installing the software. I might have switched it with another USB device - I'm not sure. How can I tell it that the hardware is not new?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What's the description of that "device", and does it require installing a software driver package for it to work?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Danquigny

It's an "Alpha Desktop Recording Studio" that allows connecting my tape player to the computer for transferring the music to CDs. It does have a software installation CD. I suppose I can just reload the software, but wondered if there's a quick way of telling Windows that IT'S NOT NEW! The unit is working fine - I just have to hit Cancel every day when I turn the computer on.

There's an option to "never ask again" when the prompt comes up to install a driver for it. Do that.

Danquigny

There isn't any such option. The only ones are "install software automatically" and "install from a list or specific location". The "clickable" options are Next and Cancel. So this time I hit Next, and it found the software that was loaded originally and re-installed it. So I guess that will fix the "new hardware" annoyance. Thanks for responding.

Sorry, I think you have to NOT let it find the driver for you, for that option will appear. Since the driver is already installed, don't insert any driver CD or link to any driver folder, and then click that option (and letting the existing driver be). Should do the trick. Does for me, anyway. :)

Danquigny

I didn't load the CD. I chose "install automatically" and it did some searching, obviously found it, and installed it. Anyway, problem solved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online