1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Found New Hardware" - It's not new

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Danquigny, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Danquigny

Danquigny Thread Starter

I have a device plugged into a USB port and it fails occasionally. When it does, I have to unplug the cable and plug it back in. When I do, Windows keeps saying "Found New Hardware", and it suggests installing the software. I might have switched it with another USB device - I'm not sure. How can I tell it that the hardware is not new?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the description of that "device", and does it require installing a software driver package for it to work?

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. Danquigny

Danquigny Thread Starter

It's an "Alpha Desktop Recording Studio" that allows connecting my tape player to the computer for transferring the music to CDs. It does have a software installation CD. I suppose I can just reload the software, but wondered if there's a quick way of telling Windows that IT'S NOT NEW! The unit is working fine - I just have to hit Cancel every day when I turn the computer on.

4. SJ2571

SJ2571

There's an option to "never ask again" when the prompt comes up to install a driver for it. Do that.

5. Danquigny

Danquigny Thread Starter

There isn't any such option. The only ones are "install software automatically" and "install from a list or specific location". The "clickable" options are Next and Cancel. So this time I hit Next, and it found the software that was loaded originally and re-installed it. So I guess that will fix the "new hardware" annoyance. Thanks for responding.

6. SJ2571

SJ2571

Sorry, I think you have to NOT let it find the driver for you, for that option will appear. Since the driver is already installed, don't insert any driver CD or link to any driver folder, and then click that option (and letting the existing driver be). Should do the trick. Does for me, anyway. :)

7. Danquigny

Danquigny Thread Starter

I didn't load the CD. I chose "install automatically" and it did some searching, obviously found it, and installed it. Anyway, problem solved.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!