1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

found new hardware... pci device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rockin65, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rockin65

Rockin65 Thread Starter

At startup I am getting a "found new hardware" dialogue box. Specifically a PCI Device of which I truly believe I don't have or at least after cancelling the installation of the driver a hundred times I am obviously not missing whatever it thinks I should have.

At startup I get the dialogue box then go into the found new hardware wizard... search for a suitable driver... uncheck floppy, cd's etc... let it do its scan thing... and finish with... disable the device. Until next time I startup its the same thing over again.

I am running Win2000 Pro and have no wires plugged in other than a serial for the HP 3030 printer/fax and the two usb's for the mouse and keyboard. I tried finding something in Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager and view devices by connection and all that but I really don't know what I'm looking for.

Is there something I can printout to show you to see where it would be coming up with this new hardware thing and make it stop?

Thanks,

Rockin65

2. InfernoReaper

InfernoReaper

the only real way to figure it out is to look in the case at your pci devices and go from there

3. seekermeister

seekermeister

Sometimes, you can get a clue to a device by using the Add New Hardware Wizard.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you update the bios lately by chance?

Have you checked your bios for any onboard type devices ie onboard sound, onboard nic, etc?

Check device manager to see if there are any yellow marks. Post a screenshot of DM.

5. Rockin65

Rockin65 Thread Starter

1. I cannot seem to copy to an acceptable format to show contents of Device Manager.
    It only copies to wordpad which is not on the forum's list of accpetable files.
    I tried printing it but which part do I print? I'll start with irq summary from device manager and save it as pdf and post.
    Didn't work file too large at 286k. I'll try again when I have more time.
    Any ideas on this to show my connections to get help?

2. re: look inside... I can try looking in the box seeing what else may be hooked up although with my limited knowledge may not help.

3. re: bios... I don't know anything about Bios stuff.

4. re: add new hardware... it just says pci device

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

To make a screenshot; with device manager open and the active window, hit the print screen key. Now open a file viewing app like irfanview or paint. In the app hit the edit menu>paste. Now save the file as a jpeg and upload it here.

7. Rockin65

Rockin65 Thread Starter

Paint didn't work as the file size is too big. I finally got it using paintshop and saving to web in jpeg. Now, hopefully someone can help me find why the computer seems to think I have a PCI device that it wants to install.

Thanking you in advance.

Attached Files:

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Just a hip-shot here, but my bet would be on the HP printer. You could try uninstalling it, then ensuring that all Device Manager entries for it are removed, delete the registry key for it (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=298370) and then reinstall it.

Set a system restore checkpoint first and test it to be safe.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486154

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice