1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Found old pc, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Piringa, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Piringa

Piringa Thread Starter

So I was throwing out the trash and I threw a bag of trash over the doors of the corral and I missed the trash bin. I went inside the corral and found an old keyboard on the floor and I thought ka-ching. I had just found an old pc. Everything was there. To get to my question.

What can I do with this system. Any ideas?

It runs but I think it has some problem with the hard drive or ide controller or something. I opened it up and it seems to be an old 486 box. Im not sure but I think all the devices were connected via isa as opposed to more modern systems that use pci slots. The ports didnt look like the pci slots im used to seeing so I'm just going on a hunch. It has 16 megs and no cd rom, but one 3.5" floppy and a 5" floppy. When I opened the box I saw the hd and it said the capacity was 240 megs or something. I was laughing but I was like ok i guess its right, the American Megatrends Bios says 1985 - 1992. So Im guessing windows 3.0 or something. The mobo has no ide controller built in, the ide conrtoller is a separate device. The HD's ide cable is pluged in to this device that is connected to the mobo through isa or whatever kind of port that is.

here are some pics.

ps. It wont boot to the OS. Hard drive not ready error.

Attached Files:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I have thrown our 3 or this type of system and could find noone interested in it at all, i also was unable to think of a use. also this was when the highest speeds where 330mhz and 2gb of HD not today with current specs and price.

i suggest you put it back in the bin..

3. n2gun

n2gun

Try downloading a bootdisk from the link below. I would get the windows 95 Original. Download it to your computer and then put a blank 1.44 mb 3.5 disk in and open the download and it will make a bootdisk to try. From there you can try the boot that one and check to see if the hard drive (c:)is working. If it boots to a:> then type in dir c: and hit enter. If the drive is working you should get a list of files. It is a good chance it has windows 95 on it.

http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

4. flash777

flash777

maybe you could run linux on it. depending on system specs. or just take the hd put it in your comp depending on size you could use it to back up files or put linux :) on it.

5. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

You could use it as a print server or install an ethernet card and use it as a router...

6. Piringa

Piringa Thread Starter

Ok good ideas there. First things first. I booted with the a drive the floppy that had the boot disk for win95 and it said starting windows 95 at first but then it gave me an error. It said "no drives found, installation aborted". Then it says device name "banana" device driver not found for "banana" "no valid cd rom device drivers selected. and thats it. How can I get it to boot, should I install a cd rom drive? I happen to have one lying around.

Attached Files:

7. Piringa

Piringa Thread Starter

Any help?

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

At the A:> type in dir c:

And see if it shows anything...

You could try a CD-ROM drive in it, don't know if it would see it...

If you do, make sure in the BIOS that the channel is set to "Auto"...

9. gws226

gws226

You could use it as an Atari Emulator :p. Perhaps if you max out the ram you may even by able to run a couple of Nintendo Emulators :)

10. ourhouse

ourhouse

\

how would one go about using it as a router? what software do you need?

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    What you need to do is find an old 4Xcdrom someplace. This is the one place I would suggest looking at eBay. It is doubtful that you could run any faster cdrom on that. I have several small IDE hard drives sitting here. Even a 750Mb I believe. If you would be willing to pay the shipping I would give it to you. Sorry cant help with a cdrom though.

12. Derrick

Derrick

Hehe that looks like my place with all the computer parts n stuff, try n put win 95 on it. Or use it as a boat anchor.lol :rolleyes:

13. prunejuice

prunejuice

Linux...router...ROM-rocker...target practice...whatever...

14. flash777

flash777

try running scandisk

15. Piringa

Piringa Thread Starter

Lol yeah, I tried scandisk and I also tried dir c: but it wont work. I remember at first it was telling something about ide controller problem or soemthing. I think that my first step is to get the ide device working maybe switching it from port to port then accessing the HD so I can later maybe install whatever on it. The bios has a password If I take out the batery for a while will that reset it? Or should I mess with the master reset jumpers? Thats a bad idea the other computer in one of those pictures has its jumpers all moved so thats why I cant get it to work.

Could someone give me some linux distributions for floppy's (with GUI's) in case I cant get that cd rom to work.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217578

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice