1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fourth Hard Drive makes my Comptuer not start?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Desertwolf, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Desertwolf

Desertwolf Thread Starter

Hey everyone, here is my problem
    -Previously (a week ago) I had 3 hard drives in my PC and it worked fine
    -Last week, I bought a fourth hard drive, put it in, turned on PC and everything worked
    -Next Day, turned on PC, it froze at the startup screen for like 4 minutes, then it told me something about S.M.A.R.T failed and press F1 to continue, I did, new hard drive didn't show up (once PC booted)
    -Next day I turned on PC, it worked with four hard drives, I then dled Western Digital Hard Drive check and checked the S.M.A.R.T status of the new hard drive and it said it was fine
    -I disconnected the new hard drive and this error disappeared
    -I reconnected the new hard drive and (and here's the issue) and disconnected any of the OTHER hard drives, and my PC turned on normally (and new hard drive was working fine).

It seems that when I connect the fourth hard drive (regardless of which one it is) I get the problem - now it won't even give me the S.M.A.R.T error, it just won't start up.

Any Suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks
    -Desertwolf
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are they IDE/PATA drives or SATA drives? If the older PATA drives then make sure you are jumpering the drives correctly. An incorrect jumpering of a drive can result in an error. You can also try another 80 wire, not 40 wire IDE cable or another SATA cable.

Model of the drives may be useful.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

What size power supply do you have?

4. Desertwolf

The power supply is 520W but the new hard drive and one of the older ones are Caviar Green (Low energy), and the computer booted up several times (~3) with all hard drives in and was functioning normally.

All hard drives are SATA (Western Digital Scorpio Blue 640gigs, Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB, Seagate 500gig, Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB).

5. Desertwolf

Heres the full specs:
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6500
    GPU: XFX 8800GT (nvidia)
    RAM: 6 Gigs DDR2
    Power Supply: HX 520W Corsair
    MOBO: P5K-E Asus
    Hard Drive 1: Seagate SATA 500gig (forgot model)
    Hard Drive 2: Western Digital Western Digital Scorpio Blue 640gigs,
    Hard Drive 3: Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB
    Hard Drive 4: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB (New one)

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Which SATA ports are your using? The red Intel ports or the black JMicron ports?

7. Desertwolf

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Try moving the drive to the red Intel controllers, JMicron controllers are known to be problematic.

Or update the BIOS to the latest version. The latest BIOS updates the JMicron controller firmware.

9. Desertwolf

However, when i disconnect any of the older hard drives (any of the ones in the red ports) and keep the new one (the one in the black port), the computer boots up, and all the connected hard drives work.

10. Desertwolf

Ok, Ill try to connect all four hard drives to the red ports, and tell you what happens.

11. Desertwolf

I can't connect anything to the rightmost ports ( look at the image to see what I mean) because my V-card covers those ports :(, however I really don't think that's the problem, currently the new hard drive (connected to the black ports) is working fine, its just when I add another hard drive to the 3rd red port (regardless of which hard drive it is) the computer stops to work.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Then try updating the BIOS. The latest BIOS updates the JMicron firmware and one of the previous BIOS updates the Intel firmware, although I see they don't actually mention that.

13. Desertwolf

I think it might be power issue, I just removed my 2nd dvd-drive (-25W) and when I added the fourth hard drive (+6/7W) the computer turned on, and all hard drives are working. Thanks alot for the help guys, hopefully it'll continue to turn on with all hard drives working :)

14. Desertwolf

The problem has now returned, it seems to go away and come back.. Could it be the hard drive?? I'm honestly stumped. If its my computer, and it simply can't handle 4 drives, then I'll just get an external enclosure, but if its the hard drive, then I need to replace it...

Any more ideas?

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Could still be the power supply.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice