1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Foxfire master password

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by gabby121, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gabby121

gabby121 Thread Starter

Dummy that I am, while using Firefox 2.0, I put in a master password and forgot it. Now Firefox asks for a password, even checking e-mail, and I can't get on. I can access the e-mail by IE7, but I rather like Firefox. Any suggestions?

2. cgesicki

cgesicki

try removing the "key3.db" file from your profile folder

located:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows login/user name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<Profile name>\

in other words
    %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<Profile name>\

3. gabby121

gabby121 Thread Starter

I am a dope when it comes to looking these things up. I went to Explorer and didn't know which name to look in: I have "Bob" "Bob~1~Bob" and "BobHughes". The Bob folder has a windows folder, but it dead ends at a system folder. The others don't seem to have any windows login folder.

4. icemn45

icemn45

when you get to the floder with your named folders in it, go to the menu at the top. click "toolyou will see "show hidden files and folders". check this , and then click "ok".s", then "folder options". then click the "view" tab. under "hidden files and folders". from there you should be able to follow thru "application data\mozilla " etc. and do as cgesicki mentioned

5. icemn45

icemn45

sorry, keyboard meltdown on that last one. click "tools", you'll then see "folder options". click again. then "view", then "show hidden files and folders"

6. gabby121

gabby121 Thread Starter

Success. I wasn't able to find the key3.db file when I changed the folder parameters. When I woke up this morning the thought occurred to me . . . use Windows search. It didn't work till I selected the option to look in hidden files and suddenly, there it was. I deleted it and Firefox seems to be running just as well and without the password problem. Thanks again.

7. icemn45

icemn45

great news, and great idea. a lot of times the file you are looking for is hidden. thats why i suggested changing the folder options. have fun. glad its working again

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542579

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice