1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

foxit pdf reader

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Honey2aB, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

Good morning everyone. I just installed foxit and was wondering how on earth to use it. I downloaded it to my download folder, scanned it with AVG, then when I double clicked it to open it and look at it, this message came on my screen that said..."this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options Control Panel." What the heck is that?? I use Windows ME..IE 6.0...on a Dell. Different links that I go to say yes for ME, and some places say no for ME. I dunno.

Thanx a bunch for any help/advice you can offer.

2. TOGG

TOGG

According to Foxit's website, the free reader is not for ME (which is odd, considering it will run on 95/98);

"Foxit Reader runs on Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP/2003. It is provided by Foxit Software Company free for non-commercial use. This product is provided AS IS without any explicit or implicit warranty. Please see the End User License Agreement.

3. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

Like I mentioned. I dunno. One place I looked at said "all" when specifying OS. I guess I'll uninstall it.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

What exactly was the file you downloaded, then tried to open?
    Please advise the filename and the three characters after the "." (the file extension)

It soulds like you have either downloaded a .zip file and do not have an unzip utility or something similar.

Windows ME is officially part of the "Windows 9x" family so should be covered.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Just checked one site, its downloadable as either a .zip or a .exe file.

So just download the .exe if you do not have an unzip utility (and Windows ME does not have a "native" one)

6. hewee

hewee

The association it wants to make you can say no to. But saying yes to it then it will make the association so when you click on any .pdf file it will open in foxit pdf reader.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

That does not sound like the issue the original poster has though, if you read the clear description of the post.

It strongly suggests it's a .zip file that the computer does not have an associated application to open it with. Hence my suggestion above.

8. hewee

hewee

Yea you right it say.. "installed foxit" but also could not open it. So then it was never unzipped ot install.
    Really the zip version does not need to be installed and the newer version is just the one file now.

9. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

Thanx for all the replies/help. I actually did uninstall after my, what, 2nd post? Maybe what I'll do is reinstall and tell you guys a bit more about what messages came up on my computer when I tried to install. :)

10. hewee

hewee

11. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

Okay I never got around to installing anything yet. :rolleyes: Busy, busy. Hewee, you gave me a big list of different pdf's to look at. Which one would you think/suggest for me?? The only thing, really, that I need one for is reading those blasted newsletters that the school sends me for the kids. Since kids can't be relied upon to give parents newsletters, now they send them to the parents directly....rrrrr. Oh, and of course, when friends send me things I need to decipher them. :)

I used to have adobe, but it took forever to load, then eventually it didn't even work...so now I have a download folder with a ton of stuff from friends, who tell me "I just HAVE to read this" and of course...newsletters.

I can't have anything that is going to take up a ton of space as we are EXTREMELY spacially challenged at the moment. My crappy Dell only has the original 127MB of Ram on it. My computer tells me I currently only have 8.47GB of free space left. And at this point in time, with all of the stuff the kids feel they need to save, it is running way too slowly. What do ya think?? :D

My chai tea awaits.

12. hewee

hewee

Well they are not all the same if you check out all the ones listed there. Some just convert and other are not free. With foxit pdf reader being the best but you can use it on ME.

There is the PDF SpeedUp 1.42 http://www.acropdf.com/ that they say helps.

Older versions of Acrobat Reader are here.
    http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=acrobat

But don't know if your need a newer reader for the new pdf files you get and need to open.

But you need more memory on your PC. I would get 512 MB and I bet your see a bug change in things.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!